May 2021 Virtual Shows (was Something unforeseen to lighten up the dark times...)

Fugazi

22 minutes ago, Spartanguy83 said:

I have a feeling they will be one of the bands at the forefront for VR or whatever it's called. They would be an ideal band for it. 

A more immersive, 3D virtual performance could be interesting. The technological challenge though! As software evolves and data pipelines becomes more robust, I can see it happen one day!

• Like 1

The band are catching some flak on social media for not having been open about pre-recording the show. The result is probably the same, but I can understand that some of the people who made sure to be awake at 3 AM to catch the second performance might have waited until the morning had they known it's not a live-live performance.

I'm actually surprised they used the "wrong" visuals during Alpenglow, considering the team had time to correct any blatant mistakes. Perhaps the idea to add Alpenglow to the set list happened too late in the design process? Because I think the dark graphics of Tribal clashed somewhat with the tone of Alpengow.

In unrelated thoughts, given how good the band performance turned out in the end without Marko, this could have been one of their defining live moments had Marko not left the band. Oh well.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info on this forum. I purchased 2 tix for the NY show. Talked a buddy of mine into going. We will take the Amtrak into NY. Hour and a half ride.  

Tank has some excellent vids!

I'm not 100% positive on posting rules here, but I thought I'd share this vid from yesterday. I was so enjoyable. If I broke a rule, please let me know. Thanks.

NIGHTWISH Reaction. Ghost Love Score (OMG.. VIKING METAL!!) - YouTube

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"Nemo" from the virtual show is now available as an Amazon Exclusive... Have they sold the whole show to Amazon? That would make a DVD release very unlikely. 😐

Edit: apparently the material has been retouched a bit for this release... Do let me know if you happen to have an Amazon Music subscription.

• 3 months later...

This is intriguing and possibly of interest:

https://www.matchxrhelsinki.com/

Match XR is the biggest annual XR event in the Nordics. In November 2021, it will bring the AR/VR community together for the 5th time. Held over two days in the virtual VR Pavilion Finland, the event will be streamed into AltspaceVR and on YouTube.

Wednesday the 17th > Day 1

16:00 – 16:30 Making of “Nightwish – A night in a virtual world”

Presentation and 10-minute Q&A by Laura Olin COO and Partner at ZOAN

Edit: jump to 6:18:00

• Metal 1

On 11/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, Fugazi said:

This will be starting in a few minutes, for those interested. 🙂 It does appear to be an English presentation.

I will be posting a few screen captures later when I'm home, I don't know if this will be available for rewatch.

Edit: Yes it is, time stamp 6:18:00 in the stream above.

• Metal 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fugazi said:

Yes, they're adorable! I only wish their setup would allow them to pause and comment during the songs instead of only at the end.

Truthfully, that's by design and I really like that about them. So many reactors pause and just feel the need to be dramatic or talk nonsense. I would not mind one pause, I guess. But I'm a little weird! 🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, Spartanguy83 said:

Truthfully, that's by design and I really like that about them. So many reactors pause and just feel the need to be dramatic or talk nonsense. I would not mind one pause, I guess. But I'm a little weird! 🤣🤣

I thought it was because they're in separate locations and syncing the music after every pause would be a pain. But it's okay, they're entertaining and it's all that matters!

• Metal 1

1 hour ago, Spartanguy83 said:

You might like this guy then... "No Pause Reactions - No Breaks, No BS" 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_wMqRYF8fQ

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, Fugazi said:

This is intriguing and possibly of interest:

https://www.matchxrhelsinki.com/

Match XR is the biggest annual XR event in the Nordics. In November 2021, it will bring the AR/VR community together for the 5th time. Held over two days in the virtual VR Pavilion Finland, the event will be streamed into AltspaceVR and on YouTube.

Edit: jump to 6:18:00

Wow, this was excellent. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some news about the virtual show, from Mika Jussila's Facebook:

Nightwish virtual show mastering under work 🙂
Don't ask me anything about the release because I do know nothing! All I know is my brother in arms Kimmo Ahola has done awesome job at mixing and whenever you hear this live you will love the sound!
[...]
Q: Mika, is it a remix or is it the Kimmo’s streaming live mix?
A: Remix
  • Metal 1

Oh? This is unexpected... 

The virtual show is available right now on a new(?) streaming platform called STACCS where other Nightwish productions will also be made available shortly. 

https://staccs.com/nightwish

Many questions spring to mind:

What is this new service and is it a better deal for the artists than say Netflix or Amazon? Remember that virtual Nemo was released on Amazon Music.

Is it the same show or a remastered-remixed version?

Will there still be a DVD?

Where is Staccs available? It's certainly not in Canada.

😮

BY FANS, FOR FANS - ALWAYS IN THE FRONT ROW

Staccs is a Stockholm based streaming service created by and for music enthusiasts, offering a big catalogue of hundreds of live concerts and music documentaries. Our ambition is to be able to offer all music lovers the best possible selection, regardless of era or genre, and we are constantly looking for new content to broaden our service with.

FROM LEGENDARY STADIUM CONCERTS TO THE MUSIC TV OF THE FUTURE

Our goal is to take the streamed concert experience to the next level. Whether it is classic stadium concerts, legendary club gigs, unique TV appearances or in-depth documentaries, for us it’s important that the experience is the best imaginable both in terms of sound and image. We want to create the best and leading streaming service in all music categories - concerts, documentaries, newly produced and exclusive content for Staccs, new TV formats and much more.

A MORE FAIR BUSINESS MODEL

We build Staccs together with fans and artists - thanks to our User Centric model, the streaming revenue is distributed to artists and rights holders based on what you as a user is watching. We believe this is a fairer model and enables you as a fan to be confident that what you contribute benefits your favorite artists.

Ok I found the press release... it doesn't bode well for a DVD, but Staccs is only available in part of Europe for now. 🤔

Streaming service for concert video, Staccs, announces first artist launch with a series of highly successful concerts by Finnish Symphonic Metal band Nightwish

The exclusive partnership includes access to ‘An Evening with Nightwish in a Virtual World’ - a concert streamed earlier this year across 108 countries to 150,000 viewers and generated seven figures in ticket revenue

The much awaited show is FINALLY available for fans – and premiers on the Staccs platform on December 10th

Three more popular shows from Nightwish will be added in the following weeks

London, UK, 2021: Swedish tech startup, Staccs - a premium streaming service for concert video and music documentaries - has revealed its first artist collaboration with Finnish symphonic metal superstars Nightwish. The deal involves the licensing of a series of concerts performed by the band, which will now live exclusively on the Staccs streaming platform for subscribers to enjoy over and over again.

The exclusive collaboration kicks off on December 10th with the launch of ‘An Evening with Nightwish in a Virtual World’ - one of the most talked about and successful concerts performed by the band earlier this year. The concert is set in a 3D world and has only ever been streamed once before during a live performance that attracted an audience of 150,000 people. Following the launch, three more titles by Nightwish will become available to stream on Staccs:

”Please Learn The Setlist in 48 Hours” (documentary, 120 minutes) 

“Live at Wacken Open Air 2013” (concert, 98 minutes)

“Live at Wembley Arena 2015” (concert, 126 minutes) 

Jonas Sellberg, Chief Operations Officer and Co-Founder of Staccs commented “Staccs was created with a vision to make fantastic live music content available for fans, free of ads, anytime, anywhere. This partnership with Nightwish marks a big moment for us as we take an important step towards working with incredible artists to make high-quality content exclusively available on our platform. Thanks to our user centric revenue model, our partnerships open up new revenue opportunities for artists, and gives fans a way to show their support in enjoying an artists’ content”.

Floor Jansen, Lead Singer of Nightwish, commented: “We are so happy that this show, that we put so much love and energy into, will now live a long life through the Staccs platform. It’s exciting for us that our loyal fans will have the opportunity to watch our concerts on-demand at their pleasure. We believe that what Staccs has created, allows artists like ourselves to step into the future of music, and deliver great moments for our fans to enjoy again and again”. 

Having recently launched in the Nordics and Baltic states, Staccs has created a platform which will stream high-quality, premium video and audio content - all available in one place. Details of a UK launch will be revealed later. 

Staccs opens up new, untapped commercial opportunities for the music industry with its user-centric business model - offering artists and rights holders a new revenue stream to market classic video content. The new home for concerts on demand, Staccs offers fans the chance to relive their favourite gigs advert free in the highest quality possible.

For more information, please head to: https://staccs.com/nightwish

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Jussila, mastering engineer, has updated his master list with the 2021 crop of projects. He only worked on two Nightwish projects last year, namely the remastering of the two virtual concerts. Curiously, these were not commissioned by Nuclear Blast, but an unknown British company named A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts Ltd, listed as active since 2019 in "event catering activities". This may or may not be related to Staccs (the streaming platform), but in my opinion does note bode well for a DVD release in the near future. 🤔 No remasters of older albums on the list either. What a waste of a year!

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

From Backstage Rock Shop: 

https://www.backstagerockshop.com/collections/nightwish/products/nightwish-virtual-live-show-from-the-islanders-arms-2021-dvd

It would appear the second show will be available on DVD, while the first will only be streaming on Staccs. "Virtual Live Show from the Islanders Arms 2021" is a mouthful. 🤔 No mention of a Blu-Ray, perhaps other versions are yet to be announced.

brs-nightwish-virtual-live-show-from-the-islanders-arms-2021-dvd_800x.jpg.57ee02110663722011ce2ba181f0f05b.jpg

Nightwish "Virtual Live Show from the Islanders Arms 2021" available now as dvd!
Includes a 24-page booklet with unreleased Making Of photos. This is a different show than available on Staccs.com.

When Nightwish’s world tour was canceled due to the pandemic, the band wanted to offer fans something unprecedented. Half a year in preparation they put together an exceptionally ambitious production, the like of which had not been seen before. Fans were able to follow the band playing live in the astonishing 3D world, designed according to the band’s vision, while interacting with each other. Also, songs from Nightwish’s latest album ‘Human. : II: Nature.’ were played live for the first time.

“This is definitely one of the coolest things Nightwish has ever done. Entwining visual elements, technology and music in such an extraordinary way offers an unique experience to us all”,  the band states.

‘An Evening with Nightwish in a Virtual World’ concert streamed last year across 108 countries to over 150,000 viewers. The much awaited show, set in a 3D world, will be finally available in dvd format. Order yours now!

Release date: March 11th 2022

1. Intro 1:46
2. Noise 5:15
3. Planet Hell 4:40
4. Alpenglow 4:43
5. Élan 4:21
6. Storytime 5:35
7. How’s the Heart? 4:53
8. Harvest 5:31
9. Dark Chest of Wonders 4:23
10. I Want My Tears Back 5:24
11. Ever Dream 4:47