Marko Hietala

While Floor is building up her YouTube channel, Marko is competing in a Finnish TV singing contest -- or so I believe, I can't really figure it out! Oh and forgive me for mentioning his name, I think we're not supposed to know it's Marko. 😁 It's a masked singer contest, after all.

So far he did a number of covers that are quite outside his usual range, and it's fun to imagine him smiling under that ugly mask!

Eteen Ja Ylös: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wAmoHcE9g&feature=youtu.be

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IPEyOyl7f0

Levoton Tyttö: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gix9XeYbcSM

Kiss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGweGiOxHvY

Gangsta's Paradise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uKj2tA5zc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's the video for the recently released Therion song Marko is singing on, "Tuonela". I believe the other singer is Lori Lewis, but I may be mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFC62uL9R1I

Comment from MetalSucks:

Therion just released their 17th studio album, Leviathan, on Friday, January 22, and with it comes a new music video for the song “Tuonela.”

Former Nightwish singer and bassist Marko Hietala lends his voice as a guest singer to the song — he announced his departure from the band earlier this month — with Therion mastermind Christofer Johnsson commenting on that collaboration:

“Like everyone else, I’m very sad and was also surprised to read that Marko is leaving Nightwish. But I understand his reasons and the frustrations that many people share about the same issues. But Marko has been active as a professional recording artist with various quality bands since the mid-80s, so I am absolutely sure in time we will see his return to the scene. He is simply too good to not be involved with music. But right now I hope he will take a good amount of time to just find himself and get the full energy and inspiration back on track.”

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, Fugazi said:

Well Marko has won the show, as can be seen here on Instagram, I wish I could speak Finnish:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CI_UkR8BLiv/?igshid=19bxm0bvnxal

Well done! 👍

The final performance is yet to be published on YouTube.

Would you like me to translate it for you? 🙂

Ok so I'll do it this way. I'll wrote about them with their names. The host is called Ile Uusivuori, the panelists from left to right are Janne Kataja (he's really hilarious TV -person), the lovely lady next to him is Jenni Kokander (she's that cool aunt person everybody has or wants to have, she's also a famous TV person and an actress), then there's this really fabulous woman Maria Veitola (she is a journalist, a TV-person and 'A Boss Lady' as she has stated herself) and last but definitely not least Christoffer Strandberg (actor, host and Finnish Dancing With The Stars winner). 

Christoffer: I WAS SO CLOSE! I WAS SO CLOSE!! 

Jenni: NOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ile: Ladies and gentlemen, The Doctor aka Marco Hietala! 

Jenni: IT CAN'T BE!!!!!!!!! 

Ile: Gongratulations, the golden mask is yours! 

Marco: At times you're a winner. 

Christoffer: Oh shoot I was so close! 

Maria: It was so close for me too. 

Jenni: I don't know anything anymore. 

Janne: Someone said... 

Maria: I said it! 

Christoffer & Janne: Yeah, that's true! 

Maria: But I decided to guess it was Antti Holma (Finnish actor) instead. How stupid of me?! 

Marco: It was a great guess. 

Christoffer: You've built a very awesome character, really! 

Marco: Thank you so very much, it was kind of a pile of pieces, there was a killer whale thing and a doctor thing and in the end they merged.

Jenni: That was a really great hoax, we were totally lost there! 

Marco: That was really awesome, I joined this competition because it sounded so absurd, weird and hilarious but along the way I noticed that how lost you guys were it totally topped off this whole thing. 

Christoffer: Which of our guesses was your favourite? 

Marco: I'd say Pirkka-Pekka Petelius (one of the most famous Finnish comedians of all time, I'd say).

Ile: So Marco you've used to perform to thousands of people with Nightwish and so on, but how was it to perform as The Doctor? 

Marco: This was really something else, the most awesome thing in this was to start off from clean table and you don't have to think about everything you have done in the past decades in music and nobody had any sorts of preconceptions. You can be as crazy as you want, do some sort of weird elegant baletic like movements and so on.

Janne: Where did all those liquids and substances came from? 

Maria: And those rainbow flags! Did they have any meaning, like why the color was that color? 

Marco: Noo, but of course I was aware that Elton John... (he kinda stops the sentence and starts another) And at that point when you noticed those rainbow colors and start guessing related to them I thought that 'well, this was a really great hoax also'. 

Ile: Awesome! Thank you very much Marco Hietala aka The Doctor, you are the winner of Masked Singer Finland who tricked us all. 

Then Ile just thanks everybody. 

This is just my free and pretty fastly made translations, there might be some grammar mistakes but I'm happy to correct those 😄

• Like 1

I was so shocked when he took his mask off. I truly didn't see that one coming. About that biography, I found it a bit more cynical and negatively toned than I thought it would be. It has some funny stories as well and I read it last summer and had a great laugh a couple times reading it. 😄

• 1 month later...

Well this week-end I kept postponing chores and work and I read Marko's biography instead, which had been waiting for me for quite some time. I wish I had more free time for reading, but I'm digressing.

spacer.png

First thing that surprised me is that I was expecting a solid text but the book is actually filled with photos so the 192 pages translate to some 100 pages of text. The pictures are neat though, and the book design is modern and professional.

There are lots of salty details about Marko's youth, his time in Tarot and in various other bands. However the Nightwish period gets glossed over, with few words even about the Anette and Floor years (which haven't been covered in the official biography).

Marko is quite honest about his difficult musical and personal journey, and it's sad to think that despite the book ending on a positive note with Marko doing well musically and being serene about his then-recent divorce, a few years later he would be tormented by his mental health issues again. The book was released in 2017, so obviously stuff happened since.

But it's a great read, sometimes brutally honest but always entertaining. And it gives some background to Marko's decision to leave Nightwish and take care of his mental health.

You can also read a professional review of the book here.

Now who will be the next to release a biography? Tuomas? Anette? Floor? Tarja just did, so more on that later because it's next on my reading list! 😁

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...