Showtime, Storytime (2013)

Fugazi

Rate "Showtime, Storytime"  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this album?

• 10 (how to save a sinking band in 48 hours)
    • 1 (where's Anette when we need her?)

Showtime, Storytime (2013)

ss.jpg.251778e1504823fe418a053698f0b49d.jpg

recorded on August 3 2013 at Wacken Open Air Germany during the Imaginaerum World Tour (2012-2013)

Track list (with relevant threads when available)

Live performance (CD/DVD/BR*)

1. Dark Chest Of Wonders
  2. Wish I Had An Angel
  3. She Is My Sin
  4. Ghost River
  5. Ever Dream
  6. Storytime
  7. I Want My Tears Back
  8. Nemo
  9. Last Of The Wilds
  10. Bless The Child
  11. Romanticide
  12. Amaranth
  13. Ghost Love Score
  14. Song Of Myself
  15. Last Ride Of The Day
  16. Outro: Imaginaerum

Bonus Tracks (DVD/BR)

1. I Want My Tears Back (live from Tuska Open Air Helsinki June 30 2013)
  2. Ghost Love Score (live from El Teatro Flores Buenos Aires December 14-15 2012)
  3. Please Learn The Setlist In 48 Hours (tour documentary) YouTube
  4. Nightwish Table Hockey Tournament
  5. Christmas Song For A Lonely Documentarist  (YouTube)

Note:

* Take note that the Blu-Ray transfer of this recording is slightly (but noticeably) slower that the CD/DVD recording. If you're thinking about buying this album, do consider choosing the DVD over the Blu-Ray version. Here's a review I found on Amazon that will explain the issue better than I could:

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 25, 2020 by Dizdoz Purple

OK - firstly this is not a review about the performance, which is absolutely stunning, but reflects a fault on the Blu-Ray. I believe it to be a coding error, almost as if the data stream could somehow have been edited at 25fps but it is in fact playing back at 24fps, which is the framerate stated on the box and in the metadata information of the Blu-Ray file.

None of the songs play back at the correct speed; for example the Blu-Ray 'Romanticide' runs at 5m 07s from first to last note, but the official live music video (an edit taken from the exact same concert) run time is 4m 55s. If the Blu-Ray is over speeded to replay 25 frames within 1 second, i.e. at ~1.042x speed, then 'Romanticide' runs at the correct speed. Because the audio pitch is correct, it suggests framerate encoding is the issue, and the fault runs for the duration of the concert.

This is such a shame because the quality of the visuals and the sound mix is excellent, and showcases an incredible band at an unbelievably high level of performance. As another reviewer has stated regarding the same playback speed issue, there is an indefinable 'loss' to the overall atmosphere and energy of the concert.

From the band:

(from Nuclear Blast)

What better way to conclude the year as to recapture one of its outstanding highlights by revisiting Finnish Symphonic Metal legends NIGHTWISH taking the likewise legendary Wacken Open Air by storm? After being decorated with triple platinum status in Finland as well as gold status in numerous European countries (Germany, Switzerland, Poland, among others) for their most current studio masterpiece »Imaginaerum« and following the highly successful release of their very own fantasy motion picture »Imaginaerum by Nightwish«, the band is closing in its cycle of the `Imaginaerum World Tour´ with a festival triple – Wacken Open Air being the first of those final shows. The `Imaginaerum World Tour´ 2012-2013 visited in 34 countries, consisted of 104 shows with total audience attendance of over 1,5 million fans.

And what would be a better way to celebrate the grand finale as to capture the entire show at Wacken Open Air – the world’s biggest heavy metal festival – for a live DVD/Blu-ray? The live show in the front of 85 000 screaming metalheads was directed by Ville Lipiäinen, filmed with seventeen cameras and has a total duration of 85 minutes.

Mastermind and keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen states:
“The time has come soon to wrap up the magical & memorable one-and-a-half year `Imaginaerum World Tour´ 2012-2013! We still have three shows left, one of them being at the legendary Wacken Open Air Metal Festival on the 3rd of August. This show will be something extra special, since it will be released later this year on DVD/Blu-ray, together with a massive `Imaginaerum World Tour´ 2012-2013 documentary. Our darling flying Dutchwoman, Floor Jansen, has been nothing but incredible during her time in Nightwish on this tour, so this is a perfect opportunity to immortalize the current vibe of the band on film! “

The second disc consists of 120-minute tour documentary ‘Please Learn The Setlist in 48 Hours’, with no short of drama or overall madness. Also, there is a 16-minute NIGHTWISH Table Hockey Tournament, filmed on tour. On top of this there are two music clips: ‘I want my tears back’ (Live at Hartwall Arena) and ‘Ghost Love Score’ (Live in Buenos Aires).

Trailer #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czsLPig_0s

Trailer #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnKe1-8hVus (Tuomas tells about inviting Floor and Troy to join the band officially)

Trailer #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zFzKQXEmU (promoting the tour documentary)

Trailer #4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSS2QSagqMU (Tuomas talking about the decision to show more about the serious side of touring in the documentary)

Trailer #5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT7zi_fbs5A

Trailer #6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7pgFw_C2V4 (the band reflects on the Imaginerum tour -- excerpts from interviews that were not included in the documentary)

• Metal 1
  • Like 1

I have listened to this album by far the most  (during at least 2 years several times a week in my car driving to work and home) of all NW albums. 

AA...MAY...ZING... album and DVD from begin to end 👍  

🤘

• Metal 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mabla said:

I have listened to this album by far the most  (during at least 2 years several times a week in my car driving to work and home) of all NW albums. 

AA...MAY...ZING... album and DVD from begin to end 👍  

🤘

I agree! It was my first NW album purchase and... well it's still in my car, 6 years later! 😁 It's a wonderful recording of a moment in time when everyone in the band was in their groove, totally killing it.

I wish though one day they would fix that silly issue with the Blue-Ray playing slower that the DVD or CD. I must admit I haven't watched my Blue-Ray very often, given that everything is available on YouTube at the proper speed, but it's still a poor treatment of arguably one of their best recordings.

• Metal 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fugazi said:

I wish though one day they would fix that silly issue with the Blue-Ray playing slower that the DVD or CD. I must admit I haven't watched my Blue-Ray very often, given that everything is available on YouTube at the proper speed, but it's still a poor treatment of arguably one of their best recordings.

That's the reason i don't have the blue-ray ☺️

• Metal 1

3 minutes ago, mabla said:

That's the reason i don't have the blue-ray ☺️

I bought it before reading forums and finding out about the problem! 🥺 Actually I should probably add a mention in the top post about this issue.

• Metal 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

anette-icon.png.97e8711b92f5c3e4d79e0e078bb5217b.png

NW documentary

Anette's Blog, September 19, 2013

http://anetteolzon2.blogspot.com/2013/09/nw-documentary.html

Hi all,

I get so many comments and questions about why I´m not participating in the upcoming NW dvd and as I´ve stated in the comments before it´s a decision I took due to me not being a part of the band anymore and therefore not having a way of controlling how my input would be in the documentary. This documentary was also not asked of me to be a part of until AFTER we split up. 

Then whatever my other reasons for this decision, how things ended and so on, is nothing I´m going to talk about at this moment. 

I respect your opinions in this matter but I ask of you all to respect mine too. 

Thanks and enjoy the day now;=)

anette-icon.png.97e8711b92f5c3e4d79e0e078bb5217b.png

ANETTE OLZON – Careful What You ‘Wish For

By Carl Begai, 2014.02.02

http://carlbegai.com/2014/02/02/anette-olzon-careful-what-you-wish-for/

“First of all, I didn’t think they would do the documentary because… what kind of documentary could it be?” she asks. “I could just see they could do something like what they did with Tarja to make it look like I was the evil person, because that’s what they’ve done before. I was really suspicious about the whole thing, and of course I was really angry because they fired me in a really bad way. I wasn’t happy about the situation. I didn’t want to be looked at in a weird way on a DVD, and I didn’t want to be compared with Floor. There were many reasons. I was angry, I didn’t want to have anything to do with them, and I didn’t want those comparisons again.”

• Metal 1