Harvest

Lumgol

Hi! 

Harvest is a song on H :||: N that people seem to either love or... not really like as much. What do you think of its folky vibes, Troy's voice, the lyrical theme, ... ?

Personally, I love Harvest. It's catchy, very suitable for a campfire singing session, calming, and gives a break from the heavy and oft-changing material of the rest of the album. Troy's voice isn't my favorite, but it's suited to a mellow, wholesome song such as Harvest. I also come from a folkier music taste background 🙂

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Yes, I have Thoughts ..... (I like this already 🙂 )

I always skip Harvest. In my opinion Troy is a good "support" singer but too limited for the leads in Nightwish. For me, just not enough colour or something like that. Due to your post I listening currently to Harvest again and my opinion is not changing. The vocal lines are not sung smoothly and the singing of Troy is boring. This in contrast with, for example, Shoemaker were I really like his role in the support singing and his contribution to the song. For Harvest to me it seems that Tuomas, or the band, wanted to give Troy a lead that was original written for Floor .... 😉

Is it a matter of taste ..... ? ..... or do I have a too big preference for Floor as a Huge Floor fan 😁

🤘

• Like 1

I'm of two minds about Harvest. It's not among my favourite tracks, but I do like that NW gave Troi the chance to have leading vocals for once. And the latter part of the song will probably make for a good live performance.

On this album Tuomas has IMO demonstrated his willingness to try different things and let everyone shine. Marko has Endlessness, I think it's only fair that Troi would have a song too. And I think he did a good job of it -- I mean, it's difficult to compare with Marko and Floor who both have exceptional voices in their way, and Troi is not a singer first and foremost, but still it's listenable and again, it will probably turn out very nicely performed live.

I think they have reached a point where they really make music they like and have fun performing, without fretting too much about how it will be received by fans and critics. I'm ok with that!

• 2 weeks later...

Harvest (Human. :||: Nature. 2020)

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy29T7LBM_I

Lyrics:

My harvest will come
A tiny valorous straw
Among the millions
Facing to the sun
I will pause before a man
Whose path has just begun
Something unsung our way comes

The quaternary code
Gave mankind a rose
So we could see the beautiful die
The strange peace of storm
Hovers over crops
And a child's face aglow before the scythe

Join the harvest of hundred fields
Hearty and tame
All going back to one single grain
Offer light to the coming day
Inspire a child
Water the field, surrender to the earth

They have beauty beyond all poetry
But choose a silent misery
The deeper their sea, the less remains
They'll find the pretty words
And tame flocks to herd
There's that, or a carousal of dare

Join the harvest of hundred fields
Hearty and tame
All going back to one single grain
Offer light to the coming day
Inspire a child
Water the field, surrender to the earth
Arrive alive

From the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnvpRfsTPE

Tongue-in-cheek, Troy comments that Harvest is a cypher, the secret to the whole album. According to him, lyrics point to the meaning of the album -- and the actual meaning of life!