Fugazi

Rate "Oceanborn"  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this album?

• 10 (best)
    • 1 (worst)

Oceanborn (1998)

Nightwish_Oceanborn.jpg.8c6b25868355c95913814e313865ca9f.jpg

Track list (with relevant threads when available)

1. Stargazers (lyrics)
  2. Gethsemane (lyrics)
  3. Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean (lyrics)
  4. Sacrament Of Wilderness (lyrics) 🎞️ official video
  5. Passion & The Opera (lyrics)
  6. Swanheart (lyrics)
  7. Moondance (lyrics)
  8. The Riddler (lyrics)
  9. Pharao Sails To Orion (lyrics)
  10. Walking In The Air (Howard Blake cover) (lyrics)

Related tracks: (Note 1)

1. Sleeping Sun (single, 1998) (lyrics) 🎞️ official video (1998), official video (2005)
  2. Nightquest (B-side of "Walking In The Air" single, 1999) (lyrics)

Note:

1. Included together or separately as bonus tracks on various regional releases or reissues of "Oceanborn", some as early as 1998.

From the band:

from http://nightwishtaikatalvi.epizy.com/article58.html (1999 Morbid Noizz interview)

Okay, now a question about "Passion and the Opera".. [...] Has Tarja's part taken a deliberate inspiration from this wonderful film? ["The Fifth Element" ]

Tuomas: It's amazing - no one has paid attention to that yet. Just before you, I was talking to some journalist and he asked me what inspired me to write this song, I admitted honestly that part of the vocal parts is taken in a straightforward way. When i saw this film for the first time, I was enchanted and I remember perfectly well that the same evening I just sat down and composed "Passion and the Opera".

Film music has always been a great source of inspiration for me and "The Fifth Element" is one of my favorite films. Bombastic elements, the majesty of the atmosphere in our compositions comes directly from the the world of films and film music.

What is "Sacrament of Wilderness" about?

Tuomas: The text was written on the basis of Jim Brandenburg's book Brother Wolf. It tells the story of how thousands of years ago a man and a wolf were able to live together... in a symbiosis. At that time there was respect for nature and understanding of its rules. Unfortunately, such a covenant with nature no longer exists, so it is worth recalling it in the lyrics of these works

"Moondance" still brings to mind the Russians, drinking vodka & eating onions... why?

Tuomas: The theme for this song sounds a bit Russian, no doubt. The funny thing about all of this is that our intention was never to soak the song in Russian, it just came out by itself. It was only when we finished recording this song, when we were surprised to find out that it sounded so Russian.

Reason why I bougth Oceonborn were the all over positive reviews in the magazines . I don't know why but Oceanborn didn't hit me in the heart. My expectations were too high probably. Till today this is not changed. I prefer other Nightwish albums. 

🤘

I can see how one might not enjoy Oceanborn overmuch. Listening to it next to Human Nature or any recent album shows just how much NW was a different beast back then. But Oceanborn was a huge step up from Angels Fall First, and they kept evolving with each album.

At first listen, I found the album a bit repetitive -- same operatic voice, same fast rythms, same huge guitar and drums... And I thought it was very "metal" for someone like me who used to listen to more intricate, proggy music. But it grew on me eventually, and I started to find diversity where at first there was little.

And the first NW song I ever heard was from Oceanborn, it was Walking in the Air. I was listening to the Snowman short movie, and I was captivated by that one song. When I found the NW version, I was completely blown away! But somehow I wasn't ready to listen to song after song of operatic metal at the time... not yet! 😄

• 1 year later...
On 10/12/2020 at 6:30 PM, Fugazi said:

And the first NW song I ever heard was from Oceanborn, it was Walking in the Air. I was listening to the Snowman short movie, and I was captivated by that one song. When I found the NW version, I was completely blown away! But somehow I wasn't ready to listen to song after song of operatic metal at the time... not yet! 😄

Surprisingly, it was their cover of "Walking in the Air" that completely got me into Nightwish in the first place. When I first heard it and the vocal rhythm came in, my mind immediately recognized it as I remember watching The Snowman when I was in elementary school. It wasn't the instruments but the vocals that I always remembered as far back when watching it on the television screen in Grade 1 or 2.

11 hours ago, Moondance said:

Surprisingly, it was their cover of "Walking in the Air" that completely got me into Nightwish in the first place. When I first heard it and the vocal rhythm came in, my mind immediately recognized it as I remember watching The Snowman when I was in elementary school. It wasn't the instruments but the vocals that I always remembered as far back when watching it on the television screen in Grade 1 or 2.

Unfortunately I have no childhood memories of the Snowman, it's not very well known in French Quebec, I only discovered it while I was living in the UK. The sequel (The Snowman and The Snowdog) is pretty neat too, and has a great song as well.

I loved the way Nightwish covered "Walking in the Air", but sure thought the operatic vocals were a bit intense! I got over it eventually, but I really got into NW with Floor and even Anette before daring to explore Tarja's material. 😁