Tarja Turunen

Fugazi

• 3 months later...

Just for fun, here's a short bio from the official NW web site, back in 1999.

Name: Tarja Turunen
Date of birth: 17.08.1977
Place of residence: Kuopio

E-mail: tarja@nightwish.com
Hobbies: Music is both my work and my hobby.
Musical background: I started singing with the help of my teacher and taking private piano lessons when I was in lower grades of the basic school. When I was in the upper grades of the basic school I started playing flute in a college of music. After the upper grades I started music high school in Savonlinna with classical singing and music theater as my major. Then I went to Sibelius-akademy to study church music. At the moment I’m specializing in classical singing.

Favorite...
food: Pepper steak and potatoes with garlic.
drink: Medium dry white wine.
movie: Mr. Bean
music: Bhrams, Celine Dion

director: Steven Spielberg
tv-program: Tv-Shop
actor/actress: Spike (Notting Hill)
book: RT
author: M. Waltari
band: It's hard to name the best one. There's a lot of good bands.
album: Oceanborn
song: Bhrams: Von eviger liebe
season: spring.

Our best gig: Provinssirock '99
Best gig you have seen: Timo Mustakallio '98
Worst nightmare: That I wake up in the morning being mute!
Place you'd like to go: Exotic, small island somewhere far, far away. No turism, no finns. Only silence.
Life philosophy: Smile : )

• 3 months later...

Tarja has been invited to this quirky Finnish TV show called Seagull's Nest, about a band of musicians building a tree house and inviting more musicians for playing stuff together (or at least this is my understanding of it). Presumably the show will be available on YouTube later.

• Metal 1

This is interesting news for Tarja fans, and perhaps there will be something for NW fans in general as well: a photo-biography.

tarjabooks.png.70e2b966fa4a2ce23e08188d79266ccb.png

"Tarja tells her story of making music, with rare and unseen photographs.

‘Singing is in my blood. Ever since I was a little girl, I have enjoyed performing … but not being able to be on stage in 2020 I spent a lot of time looking through photo albums, seeing all those happy scenes of childhood, growing up and making music, getting to know my fans and travel the world recording and performing, having fun; those memories fill this book’.

Frustrated at not being able to perform live and see her fans for the past year, Tarja has gone through thousands and thousands of photos of her life. She looked at artworks, sessions, tours, life…and saw how she has grown. It brought back lots of great memories and they’re all in Singing In My Blood.

There will be two hardback editions of this special book, which offers an intimate and behind-the-scenes look at Tarja making music in the studio, on stage and
at home. The Signature edition will be signed by Tarja and include two exclusive and unseen 280 x 220mm photographic prints. Both editions include scores of previously unseen photographs as well as contributions from some of Tarja’s closest friends and colleagues, too.

Singing In My Blood will be available to preorder in a few weeks, but the website, www.tarjabook.com is ready now for people to register for the chance to have a name printed in the book and get a discount when preorder begins.

‘In Singing In My Blood I tell my story about making music and share lots of personal photos. I think you’ll love it…’"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A poor translation but still an interesting read.

From Me Naiset at https://www.is.fi/menaiset/ihmiset-ja-suhteet/art-2000008358008.html

Tarja Turunen had a cerebral infarction - her husband found in the kitchen in the middle of the fragments speechless: “It has been difficult to understand why I got sick”

Singer Tarja Turunen thinks she has a cerebral infarction as a warning in the middle of momentary blindness. "Maybe it happened because it had to happen."

Tarja Turunen believes that stress and the unnecessary perseverance that burdened her for a long time played a part in the illness. “In Latin culture, women pretty much say where the closet is. That is what I have been trying to learn now. ”

Tanja Hakamo 2021-10-27

On the morning of September, Tarja Turunen's husband Marcelo Cabuli finds his wife in the home kitchen in the middle of the shards. The mug has fallen from Tarja's hand, the left half of her face seems to have swung and Tarja is not allowed to form an understandable word. The man immediately realizes that we must act quickly now - every single second from now on is crucial.

In a Spanish hospital, a fearful clue turns into a diagnosis: Tarja has had a stroke.

Blood clots in the brain are treated with leaching. Tarja's body responds brilliantly to the treatment and she stays in the hospital for three days.

It’s been three years since the illness, and Tarja, 44, seems to be pretty much the same. The experience left no physical traces but even more mental. Tarja describes the first year after falling ill as a year of fear. During that time, the mind revolved around how hell she was losing everything.

-The stroke was a huge shock. After that, the fear of getting sick and dying was my first thought when I woke up every morning and my last thought when I went to bed in the evenings, Tarja says.

-It has been difficult for me to understand why I got sick, and it has not been possible to find out in the doctor either. My own idea is that the job then required qualities from me that don’t come naturally to me, she ponders.

Tarja had taken care of her condition before, but now she ended up seeking help from an Argentine spiritual coach, whom she knew by mentoring several other celebrities. Intimate conversations helped to understand what kind of changes Tarja had to make in order to reduce the factors predisposing to illness in her daily life.

- My own theory is that too much stress paid off as an illness. I had spent my hair on a tube for years, and my loved ones had also remarked on whether the brake should be applied from time to time, Tarja says.

- When I got sick, that brake hit the flap all the way. Maybe it happened because it had to happen.

It took a whole year before the fears started to subside and Tarja started to feel stronger again, to have survived.

- I have escaped my fear of death and I no longer think about what happened every day. On the contrary, now I can already talk about it and tell you that this kind of thing happened to me.

For the first time, Tarja is talking about her illness publicly in an interview with Me Women and in her new book Singing In My Blood (Bazar), which will be published this week.

What changes in Tarja Turunen's daily life followed from the illness? Why doesn't the family travel with her anymore? How does she compare Finnish strength to the attitude that life in Latin culture has taught her? What does she think about her position and the treatment of women in metal music circles? Tarja Turunen's full interview in the latest issue of Me Naiset 43/2021. You can read the latest Digilehti here.

Edit: Here's more material from the same interview, where Tarja reflects on the time with Nightwish.

What is strength?

Some of the changes were clear and easy to make: improvements to the diet, more rest periods and time to recover, some changes to staff and division of responsibilities on tour. Check, groomed, tick the box. Then there was the part that still makes Tarja twist and roll her eyes.

- Yes, those bosses. When I'm not one of those types of people, Tarja waves. The mentor challenged Tarja to think about that: how do you treat others and how do you let yourself be treated, why do you adjust or demand more, why do you let things happen and aren't you strong enough?

Tarja began to realize that unnecessary obedience and adjustment had burdened her, even though she had considered herself a strong woman. And what exactly did strength mean?

- In Latin culture, women pretty much say where the closet is. That's what I've been trying to learn now, Tarja says.

- We Finns also talk about ourselves as strong, but that seems to mean something else. Rather, our strength is endurance and tolerance. Not to break when tested. Tarja raises her mother, for example, who suffered from cancer and suffered from ill health for years. He was described as tenacious and a fighter.

- Why did you have to put up with that, even though life could have been made easier? That's a pervert! Tarja bursts into frustration. Tarja sees her own endurance in the early years of her singing career. Then the strength was to adapt to be one of the guys, to adapt to the habits of the majority.

- In metal circles, I used to be a boy girl, always the only woman in the group. It was not worth making a number of it if you wanted to avoid trouble. I’m still often the only woman in the gang, but I don’t have to be that anymore. Today, it goes without saying that before it was a course of survival.

Tarja recalls how, for example, the desire for her own locker room was considered diva on band tours. He would have been worth any small booth where he would not have had to change clothes naked in front of his bandmates, and where his voice could have been warmed up without the smoking of the smokers. Or that he wouldn’t have been left alone to be torn apart by hundreds of fans as the callers made their way. In such a situation, Tarja once became acquainted with Marcelo, who, as a manager, came to help and take care of safety.

- Marcelo saw how I was treated. I didn’t demand that my bag be carried or the doors opened, but I deserved to be safe. He was the first to respect me that way. Then there were situations that Tarja, as a woman, would not have wanted to witness.

- Other women were brought to the back rooms and things were done, pants were thrown and everything was shown to the gang. A variety of horrible stuff, that kind of youthful fuss, completely unaware of the situation. The experience of externality would be easy to explain only by gender. However, Tarja says the contradictions were deeper in attitudes and views. During her band years, Tarja was a university student with an ambitious long career as a singer.

- I felt that I was not understood when I wanted to take things seriously and others were having fun.

Tarja says she closed her eyes and ears for gossip because she was in a position and in a situation that couldn’t just be faded. If she hadn't raised the behavior of others, Tarja thought she would get a passport. Twice he raised. He only got those famous Nightwish fires later.

- Twice in my band years I really exploded, but it didn't change anything. At the time, the atmosphere was that the guys were dudes.

Tarja would no longer take that attitude and teach her daughter the attitude. He points out that time is the second and the next generation will struggle from different starting points.

- Naomi is still a child, only nine years old, but she already has more backbone than young people to intervene in situations, question and say against. He grows stronger in many ways. Maybe the next generation of women will already get rid of that unnecessary tolerance.

Relax and respect

Tarja emphasizes that she herself has never experienced sexual harassment or abuse. Of course, the phenomenon is familiar to him, and Tarjak has sometimes been on the shoulders of his friends. In her new book, she calls the singers of the same scene metal sisters, so there is a close connection and spirit between the singers. She describes herself as a mother mother with her advice and experience.

- I think that my originality and voice have been a kind of blessing here too. Thanks to them, I have always been so different, Tarja thinks.

- Maybe the boyish nature has also protected me from the wrong kind of attention and treatment. My style has been such that I haven’t liked to expose my body, to look like a sensual or sexual type. Damn, I haven't liked my body myself, I've criticized it and been complex.

Tarja says that in the next few years she learned about you with her appearance. The change also seems to start with the value update and exercises that followed the illness, in which Tarja clarified for herself what things really matter to her and what burdens have been unnecessary to bear.

- Divine, I've been harsh on myself and complaining in vain. As now these legs and my marathoner's legs, the completely insane traumas of them, Tarja sighs.

For years, Tarja veiled her clogs on her boots, legs, or behind long beads because she hated them and did not dare to show them in front of an audience. As self-acceptance has increased, the hem has shortened.

- I recently watched an episode of The Voice of Finland and myself in it and said that it was okay. I hope I look like that in another ten years!

Tarja praises her age of 44. The voice sounds freer, the condition is good in all respects, and the mind is more forgiving than ever.

- I accept myself better at this age, and it feels really good. I don't have to be perfect and go through life, which I used to be oppressed and what seems to be so typical of us Finns, Tarja says.

- Life next to Latino and in Latin culture has taught me to relax and relax, but at the same time to respect oneself.

A new interview with Tarja, on Chaoszine.

Some highlights:

• The idea for the book came originally from the book publisher, not Tarja.
  • The focus of the book is her solo career, not the Nightwish years.
  • As mentioned elsewhere, in the book Tarja talks about the stroke she has a couple of years ago, from which she has recovered fully.

• 1 month later...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/tarja-turunen-singing-in-my-blood-book-review-rocket-88-books/

Just a review of Tarja's book...

This book is not endeavouring to win some sort of pretentious literary award for saying precisely nothing in a very erudite way – it is here to tell you, the reader, what the world of Tarja is like on a day to day basis, what she loves and hates, what her proudest moments and greatest regrets have been, and most importantly how those things all come together to make her tick.

You won’t find much in the way of scandal or dirt, particularly from what was at the time a somewhat ill-tempered dismissal from Nightwish. Instead, Tarja comes across as essentially a positive person, taking more joy from focusing on those who enrich her life rather than seek to diminish it [...].

• Metal 1

Tarja on tour in May 2022, Finland only.

Finland! We are very happy to announce that Tarja will join forces with tenor Pentti Hietanen in the "Kaunotar & Kulkuri" ("Lady & the Tramp") concert tour next May. The repertoire will include the most memorable melodies of both singers. Don't miss it!

(from her Facebook)

• Metal 1

• 1 month later...

Tarja answers fan questions in the latest issue of Metal Hammer magazine (#358). The article is not available online, so I'm sharing some of the highlights.

Have you ever shattered a wine glass with your voice, deliberately or accidentally?

“I did it with a lamp. I was in a music high school, and I was vocalising in the rehearsal room. There was a light that had a problem; when I’d hit certain frequencies it started [makes a high buzzing noise]. I started playing around with it, going up and down at a very loud volume, and it just popped. I was so happy I ran down the stairs and screamed to my friends, ‘Oh my God! I just broke a light with my voice! Come and see, it doesn’t work any longer!’”

If you could give someone one album that best demonstrates Tarja Turunen, what would it be?

“I’d go with my last album [2019’s In The Raw]. That tells you who I am at the moment. Right after the stroke, I started writing the lyrics for the album and that is the reason I am choosing this album -it is absolutely raw. The whole process was very therapeutic, I thought I was not able to do it. When I sat down with my computer for the first time, it was just a blank screen in front of me. I had all the doubts in the world, but I managed.”

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you want to sing at the Eurovision song contest finals?

“If one is not at all, and 10 is absolutely, I would say less than one. I am not interested at all, and I’ve been asked several times [as a solo artist]. I once took part with Nightwish [in 2000] – it was not my wish, but we did it. We got into the finals in Finland, but the jury voted us out. The song was called Sleepwalker. It was really not something I was dreaming of doing, but it did well for the band. We got the votes from the Finnish audience, they loved us, so the band got good publicity out of it.”

What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?

“It happened in Nightwish. Really early, maybe 2000 or something. My pants were this PVC material, not breathable, really horrible. I was sweating like a pig in those pants. The zip completely caught open at the front and I kept on singing like, ‘What do I do, what do I do?’ until the song was finished. I ran backstage to find some gaffer tape – seriously, gaffer tape – to match my shiny PVC pants. It didn’t stick, and I went back to the stage and sang the rest of the concert with a towel in front. My panties were yellow. Like, really? On that day, I needed to put yellow underpants on?”

What’s the hardest song to sing live?

“Crimson Deep, it has such a wide range, It’s very demanding. I really need to focus when I’m singing that song. It’s been a long time since I sang it – it was in the setlist many years ago. But I should take it on just to see where I’m standing vocally. I kind of enjoy the fact that not everyone can sing my songs!”

What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever read about yourself in the press?

“There are plenty! The one that most affected me was being named a ‘diva’. I do not feel like I am a diva at all, and people that really know me are hopefully with me on this! Perhaps I was misunderstood.”

Hammer: When did you see yourself described that way?

“When I got fired from Nightwish, from my old colleagues. I’ve been able to do a lot of TV work in Finland [Tarja is a judge on Finnish version of The Voice] and people have really seen who I am, there is no faking when cameras are all around you all the time.”

[Nightwish leader and songwriter] Tuomas Holpainen told Metal Hammer he was grateful to you for emailing him after his father died. Did you exchange Christmas cards this year?

“He did say thank you but no, we did not write any Christmas cards…”

Hammer: Do you two have a friendly relationship now?

“I have been singing with [ex-Nightwish bassist] Marko Hietala for many years and he apologised to me in person. He’s the only one who has done that. We got to clean the table. But with Tuomas, it’s been emailing time to time, but not more than that.”

• Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's been any collaboration between Tarja and Anette, but there's at least this congratulatory 'conversation' in 2013.

anette-icon.png.97e8711b92f5c3e4d79e0e078bb5217b.png

Anette's blog, August 24, 2013:

http://anetteolzon2.blogspot.com/2013/08/i-am-sitting-listening-to-great-album.html

I am sitting listening to a great album....

...together with my morning coffee and the album is:

....Tarja´s new album "Colours in the dark". 

I can say that if you like Tarja, go and get this album on august 30th. It´s really her best album so far, even if I like them all, but she has definitely found her own style and this album is really great! I especially like the beautiful choirs and her voice is just perfect in all the songs and the guitar sound is great! 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N5qmMkKVZYc/UhhhbQcdwMI/AAAAAAAAQAM/dJuVWas3P0I/s640/Tarja_Colors_Vinyl_edit1920x1080.jpg

Read more here about the album and release date and where to buy it:

http://www.tarja-coloursinthedark.com

ENJOY this saturday!!

Tarja-icon.png.d1327b1f3dc273a8ed03de460d3be056.png

Tarja's Facebook, 27 August 2013:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=609848165702804&id=118974631456829

Today I found this in earMusic facebook.
Very kind and nice gesture from Anette who has had a tough time in her career because of me...without me having anything to do with it 😉
Anette, thank you for listening to my new album and I am very happy that you liked it.
The best of luck for your future!

anette-icon.png.97e8711b92f5c3e4d79e0e078bb5217b.png

Anette's blog, August 27, 2013

http://anetteolzon2.blogspot.com/2013/08/thanks-dear-tarja.html

THANKS dear Tarja...

...for your kind words that warm my heart and show me what a wonderful person you are and I hope we meet soon in person:-)

all luck to you with such an amazing album! You´ve done a fantastic job!

• Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's gossip time with Blabbermouth:

"TARJA TURUNEN Doesn't Rule Out Reunion Tour With NIGHTWISH: 'I Can't Really Close Any Doors' "

What she actually says, according to a translation of her interview, is more nuanced:

In a new interview with Top Link Music manager and concert promoter Paulo Baron and music critic Regis Tadeu, Tarja Turunen was asked if she would consider doing a tour with NIGHTWISH if all of her former bandmates apologized to her about how their split happened and invited her to share the stage with them again. She responded (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "It is very, very hypothetical that all what you said will happen, first of all — it's very, very hypothetical.

"I'm living in a world, like we are all living in a world, that things happen without us noticing," she continued. "I mean, I can't really close any doors in that sense; I'm not that kind of person any longer. I learned so many things in this life already. I take them as they are.

"So I don't know. It would be very hypothetically possible," she added. "It would be unlikely to happen."

From Blabbermouth: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tarja-turunen-doesnt-rule-out-reunion-tour-with-nightwish-i-cant-really-close-any-doors/

Original interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQFRi_Vek7k

• Metal 1

1 hour ago, Fugazi said:

"TARJA TURUNEN Doesn't Rule Out Reunion Tour With NIGHTWISH: 'I Can't Really Close Any Doors' "

What she actually says, according to a translation of her interview, is more nuanced:

In a new interview with Top Link Music manager and concert promoter Paulo Baron and music critic Regis Tadeu, Tarja Turunen was asked if she would consider doing a tour with NIGHTWISH if all of her former bandmates apologized to her about how their split happened and invited her to share the stage with them again. She responded (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "It is very, very hypothetical that all what you said will happen, first of all — it's very, very hypothetical.

"I'm living in a world, like we are all living in a world, that things happen without us noticing," she continued. "I mean, I can't really close any doors in that sense; I'm not that kind of person any longer. I learned so many things in this life already. I take them as they are.

"So I don't know. It would be very hypothetically possible," she added. "It would be unlikely to happen."

From Blabbermouth: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tarja-turunen-doesnt-rule-out-reunion-tour-with-nightwish-i-cant-really-close-any-doors/

Original interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQFRi_Vek7k

To be honest, I think the chance of a reunion tour with Tarja is very low. I think it is mostly due to the fact that she and Tuomas are not on speaking terms and haven't been for a very long time. From what I know, she has spoken to the other members in the band except Tuomas as mentioned. To add, she did say at one point in 2015 or 2016 that she doesn't pay attention to the band anymore - but has heard them on Finnish radio at a few points of time. Probably was "Elan" that was on the radio at that point, I could be incorrect though.

• Metal 1

I agree, there are too many hurdles to make a reunion tour plausible. Not the least is that band management would have to deal with Tarja's husband who is still her manager, and we know their history.

And frankly I'm not of those asking for a reunion tour. I would feel bad for Floor, having to share the stage. I don't really need Tarja singing the same old songs again, unless they perform songs they never played live before. I would probably be thrilled to see Tarja live with Nightwish once (and for the first time) but it wouldn't be the same Nightwish anyway. So yeah, I won't mind if they do it but it's not on my bucket list.

• Metal 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a recent interview with Tarja:

https://etherealmetalzine.com/2022/08/15/interview-with-tarja-august-15th-2022/

"There is an album release happening at the end of this year (!) and a re-release of another album as well AND I am currently working on two other album releases for next year. For more info what these albums and projects are about, you will need to wait unfortunately. I love to keep my fans excited….haha! "

Also, a new link for her Wacken 2022 show as the recordings were removed from YouTube.

https://www.magentamusik.de/woa-2022-tarja

• 1 month later...

Tarja announced today the release of a best-of album, and of a new song.

But today is also significant because it's 'Open Letter Day', the very day 17 years ago when Tarja was shown the door after the legendary Hartwall show. More on that here.

“Best of: Living The Dream” and new song “Eye Of The Storm” available today

http://tarjaturunen.com/best-of-living-the-dream-and-new-song-eye-of-the-storm-available-today/

Tarja has chosen this moment in her life to release her first-ever “Best Of: Living The Dream”.

Looking back on 15 extremely successful years of the Finnish singer’s solo career, the Best Of contains not only Tarja’s most well-known tracks, many of them newly remastered at “Sterling Sound”, and personal favorites from all six studio albums – ‘My Winter Storm’, ‘What Lies Beneath’, ‘Colours in the Dark’, ‘The Brightest Void’, ‘The Shadow Self’ and ‘In the Raw’ – but also the never-before-heard song “Eye Of The Storm”.

“After all these years, I still really can’t believe it’s time for me to release a proper Best Of album,” Tarja says. “So many beautiful moments, unbelievable. It has been a dream to put together this collection. And I really hope that you will enjoy this as much as I did while making it.”

The compilation hand-picked by Tarja herself, will be released on December 2nd, 2022 on earMUSIC in a wide variety of formats. Each featuring exclusive rarities and/or the previously unreleased 2 hour “Circus Life” concert, eagerly awaited by fans, as well as upgraded versions of Tarja’s music videos. Rounded out by high-quality artwork, deluxe liner notes and many formats to choose from, this collection is a delight for casual fans as well as superfans.

Today also marks the release of Tarja’s previously unreleased single “Eye Of The Storm”. The brand-new song unites Tarja ́s trademark sound to a powerful, emotional anthem:

“It was the right time to finally release this song. It has a very deep feeling of closure in it. It’s been influenced by two very important countries in my life, Finland and Argentina. It’s an internal battle inside of me. Because at that time in life, I was really searching for my place in this world, where I belong as a person, as an individual,” Tarja explains.

“Best Of: Living The Dream” will be released on 1CD Jewelcase, Ltd. 2CD+Blu-ray Mediabook, 2LP (Gatefold, 180g, black), Ltd. Coloured 2LP (Gatefold, 180g, crystal clear), Ltd. Box Set and on Digital.
The standard version of the CD and both vinyls contain 16 tracks (including the brand-new single) as well as deluxe liner notes. The strictly limited Mediabook holds 13 further tracks and the previously unreleased, 2 hours live show “Circus Life”. The strictly limited box set contains an additional 19 tracks selection of Tarja’s projects including Outlanders, 4 Picture Disc, 6 art prints, 2 posters and a fine art print signed by Tarja!

Contents / Tracklist:

1. Eye Of The Storm (brand new song)
  2. I Walk Alone (Single Version)
  3. Die Alive (Alternative Version)
  4. Enough
  5. Falling Awake feat. Jason Hook
  6. Until My Last Breath (Single Version)
  7. I Feel Immortal (Radio Remix)
  8. Victim Of A Ritual
  9. 500 Letters
  10. Never Enough
  11. Innocene (Radio Edit)
  12. Demons In You feat. Alissa White-Gluz
  13. Diva
  14. Dead Promises feat. Björn “Speed” Strid
  15. Tears In Rain
  16. You And I (Band Version)