Johanna Kurkela

Fugazi

Starting a topic about Johanna, because why not? She's part of the family!

I was curious about her solo material, before Eye Of Melian and Auri and Scrooge and Altamullan Road. If Wiki is to be trusted she released 7 solo albums between 2005 and 2015, so she had plenty of material for shows such as this one recorded for Finnish TV in 2012.

My favourite at first listen, and her most successful solo song as far as I can tell, is the last of the show, Rakkauslaulu ("Love Song", 2010).

• Metal 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For you guys in Finland:

Altamullan Road SuomiLOVEssa nyt tulevana lauantaina 12.3.2022!

Altamullan Road performing live on Finnish TV show SuomiLOVE this Saturday March 12! #suomilove #altamullanroad

"Altamullan Road is a cinematic pop band formed by two Finnish singer-songwriters Johanna Iivanainen and Johanna Kurkela. The music of Altamullan Road is an intriguing gathering of different genres and emotions, intertwined together by the unique symbiotic connection and harmony of their magical voices. Inspired largely by films, their music touches topics from simple life’s pleasures to mysteries beyond the veil of existence. Sorrow and joy hand in hand. A journey from the earth to the space." (from https://musicfinland.com/en/news/new-artists-to-follow-2-2020)

Their eponymous album was released in 2020, and I think there are plans for more.

https://www.facebook.com/AltamullanRoadOfficial/

https://altamullanroad.bandcamp.com/

• Metal 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Altamullan Road will open for Delain on May 11th.

https://www.facebook.com/delainmusic/posts/pfbid02QtygsgJBeRLjxMKJYq3AsnktiFVrw8NNwqp25WVPBNQKJNV1zQY3JWkJDjbe3htfl

It’s with immense pleasure that we announce Altamullan Road and Damian Wilson as very special guests for our show at Bibelot, Dordrecht (NL) on May 11th!

You definitely don’t wanna miss this, because it’s gonna be a night to remember

I met the two Johannas at the Helsinki and Porvoo Altamullan road concerts recently..    absolutley fantactic concerts.. and such lovely people...   breath taking concerts...  absolutley breath taking..  I'd love to get to the Delain concerts, but logistically ,  a nightmare.... and costly...  too costly for me..    

Edited by Edema Ruh
  • Metal 1

14 hours ago, Fugazi said:

Hi Edemah Ruh, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your insight, it's nice to hear that there are no hard feelings or any intention to break up the band in the near future. That and the 'multi-album' deal with Nuclear Blast will allay any fears of the band calling it quits.

So in 2025 it almost looks like a combined Auri+Altamullan Road tour! By that time the third Auri album will possibly have been released, so they will have plenty of material to pick from. I don't think that Auri will cross the pond to tour the US, unless as a support act for another group. Delain perhaps? Martijn Westerholt seems to be in very good terms with the Holopainen-Kurkela family.

i think Auri would be a little too large a troupe to be a support act.. though never say never...

I tend to forget that Johanna has what... two Christmas albums?

Anyway I remember that a couple of years ago -- I can't find the quote right now -- Tuomas said that Johanna quit touring because it was getting too expensive, it's good to see that things have turned around.