Finnish expletive vocabulary by the cursing master Ocean Soul :D

Ocean Soul

CAUTION: This post will contain fucking strong language. If you are easily offended by content like this, please go rather check out my cursing free quizzes 😁😂

So once again your favourite band in the whole world had to postpone or even cancel their show you were supposed to go? Corona has gotten out of hands in your country and you have no idea when you'll see Nightwish live next time? You feel more or less fucked up and wonder what the hell I should do now, I'm bored as hell. If only I could curse in Finnish, they have so wide range of different expletives and some of the strongest and the rudest ones would be really suitable for this situation and how I'm feeling right now. Well, I'm doing this for you guys! This is going to be so much fun and probably I'm laughing my ass off while doing this. Let's start! 

In some of expletives you can add 'voi' in front of them to increase the effectiveness. In this case 'voi' means 'oh' in English. For example 'voi vittu' means 'oh fuck'.

Helvetti = literal meaning 'hell'. Strong and powerful expletive. For example you enter your office and everything's messed up, the first thing you might think is 'mitä helvettiä täällä on tapahtunut?!" which means 'what the hell has happened here?!'. 

Hemmetti = Damn; mild one, very common.

Hitto = very similar as 'hemmetti'.

Jumalauta = probably one of the rudest ones, it has no enough strong equivalent in English as Google translator translated it as 'goddamn it'. Literally 'goddamn it' is the closest one, but meaning is way much powerful. For example you're holding something very expensive, and somebody knocks it off of your hand, it drops to the floor and breaks into million little pieces. Then you can yell 'VOI JUMALAUTA!!!' while looking at the person very murderously. The person should shit themself if this is done correctly. 

Paska = Shit, crap; very common. It is so common that it has almost lost its power as an expletive, but don't use it in a civilized conversation. 

Perhana = Darn; very similar as 'hemmetti' or 'hitto', but it has a bit more effect in it. It's not quite as common as 'hitto' or 'hemmetti', but not rare though.

Perkele = Unfortunately this great expletive has no equivalent in English. This is definitely one of the rudest and powerful ones. In some cases 'perkele' translates as 'the devil'. It has very strong consonants, so this word is great if you want to learn to pronounce them well. 

Perse = Ass; very common. It is so common that it has almost lost its power as an expletive, but don't use it in a civilized conversation. 

Saamari, samperi = Very mild expletive, I strongly believe that these are derivatives from 'saatana'. 

Saatana = literal meaning is 'satan'. Yeah, we use it as a curse word and it's a very good one! One of the strongest expletives, definitely. For example you fuck up something at work and you have to start over again you can mumble under your breath 'voi saatana...!' because you don't want customers to hear you. 

Vittu = Fuck; my personal favorite and one of the rudest ones among 'helvetti', 'jumalauta', 'perkele' and 'saatana'. 

You can also combine some expletives together. Vittu saatana works pretty well! If you wanna be even more effective, you can say 'voi vitun vitun vitun vitun vitun vittu' which means 'oh fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking fuck'. You can add as many 'vitun' in front of 'vittu' as you need. Grammatically 'vitun' is a genetive of 'vittu'.

This was quite entertaining to do. I hope you had fun and maybe learned something new 🤣 

Edited by Ocean Soul
  • Metal 2
  • Fire 1

This is awesome work @Ocean Soul, thank you! 🤘 It should be pinned (and it is now!) and made required reading for all new members. Now I feel like I can really understand Finnish culture and spirit, not to mention all those behind the scenes shenanigans of my favourite metal band! 😁

Just today I saw on Facebook a lot of "Vittu" and even a "Voe vittulaine" in reply to the possible further postponement of the Tampere show... I don't know how things are going on your side of the pond but here we're in deep Paska with perhaps 4 times as many cases per day that our previous peak since the start of this mess.

• Metal 1

This made me laugh, you are learning so well already! 😂 The heart and soul of Finnish culture are in our expletives. 😆 

And yeah there are so many different ways to make some sort of derivative expletives from the original expletives. For example that 'Voe vittulainen' (if it's written grammatically correct, it's 'voi vittulainen', but 'voe vittulainen' works as well) would be 'oh fuckedy fuck'. I think I got to add more expletives and derivative options for them! 

You can also add 'han' -terminal to 'voi' if you wanna say it with a bit more effectiveness like 'Voihan vittulainen'. 

But yeah it's a shitshow in Finland with corona, too. It will be a miracle if those shows in Tampere and Helsinki will happen next month. I'm reading an article about omicron variant and these professors are talking about how this variant MIGHT BE THE LAST ONE we have to deal with and this wave might be over by February. They are very cautious with their evaluations still. 

Edited by Ocean Soul
  • Metal 1
  • Thanks 1

Quality content, this is what this forum is for! 😄👍

I like that you can just assemble a whole train of vitun in order to build up expletive strength, that makes it easy for non-native speakers to get their point across with precision without having to master too many different idioms. 😁

Now I feel prepared for an eventual meet-and-greet with the band, if that happens again one day. I will be able to tell them how fucking great they are! 🤣 Well I might not have all the right words but the most important one will be there! 😁

• Metal 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Ocean Soul said:

It's a bit sad that you can't add audio here. I would've taught how to pronounce them right as well 😄

Is it a challenge? 😁 Let me look into that!

Edit: I gave you the power to attach files to posts, and you can even embed attached sound files inside the text. I don't want to force you to do anything, but if you ever want to improve on your work, now you can! 😁

• Metal 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:53 AM, Fugazi said:

Is it a challenge? 😁 Let me look into that!

Edit: I gave you the power to attach files to posts, and you can even embed attached sound files inside the text. I don't want to force you to do anything, but if you ever want to improve on your work, now you can! 😁

Holy shit I WILL DO THAT!! If I know how and if I'm able to do it. I will be laughing my perse off while doing it. 😄 I am very busy next week but week after that I could try to do it 😁

• Metal 1
  • Fire 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, now I'm sure Finns do occasionally use complete sentences, but it must be a Northern thing because the same was said of the Highlanders in Scotland. A grunt is worth many words! 😄

Maybe it's "keep your mouth closed, and you won't swallow any midges". 😶