Endless Forms Most Beautiful turns 8! ×

Marko Hietala

Fugazi

For the last time, Marko Hietala, Turmio's Midwives and numerous Kuopio musicians are playing from Henry's Pub in Kuopio

https://kaaoszine.fi/kuopion-henrys-pubista-kajahtaa-viimeista-kertaa-marko-hietalan-turmion-katiloiden-ja-lukuisten-kuopiolaismuusikkojen-voimin/

(April 6, 2021)

We recently published a news release on our website saying that Henry's Pub, known as the living room and gig venue for the whole nation, started in Kuopio in 1970. The decision to close "Henka" throughout the pandemic was made by restrictions on gatherings that made it difficult for the entire country's restaurant and event sectors to operate.

The legendary stage of Henry's Pub in Kuopio will be performed for the last time on Saturday April 24th, when members of Henry's pub house band, which became a local legend, take to the stage with a litany of Kuopio musicians; In addition to the Turmio Midwives and Reckless Love crew, the livestream also features Marko Hietala, who recently ended his Nightwish career, and other local musicians.

During the livestream, funds will be raised for the collection of the Association of Events and Domestic Assistance to assist the Finnish cultural field," Henry's Pub says in its release:

The saga at Henry's Pub ended after more than 50 years and the time has come to bid an official farewell to the Farewell Party. The event date is Saturday 24 April 2021 at 7pm and the jams are streamed by Cheeseflower TV on their YouTube channel. The high-quality streaming together videokuvat.fi, Bluesounds Oy and H. Kervinen Sounds.

The first Henry's Pub Open Stage jams were held in October 2007 and these farewell jams are number 130. Jamei got to play or sing with his own ensemble or with Henka's House Band. This time, Jamie's musicians and singers are Henka's invited guests. The following artists will be seen on the Henka stage: Marko Hietala, MC Raaka Pee, Olli Herman, Sakari Kuosmanen, Jouni Markkanen, Tatu Kemppainen, Tommi "Tuple" Salmela, Kaitsu Kääriäinen, Marianne Juutilainen, Calle and, of course, not forgetting our beloved house band. The main organiser of the event is Kalle "Calle" Pakarinen, who was also the event's shopper. "It is important to say goodbye to the house band and invite guests to join us," says Pakarinen.

The future of events and gigs in the absence of a clear exit plan and adequate support for operators in the sector, the future of the event industry looks uncertain for a long time to come. "We want to be involved in highlighting the plight of the event industry and highlight a clear example of the means of assistance," says Jenni Kulin, Marketing Manager at Vararengasravintolat Oy. During the livestream, viewers can make a donation to the Finnish Event Industry Association's and Domestic Assistance's Work Prohibited campaign. The campaign raises donation funds to help people in the event industry and their families.

Donation funds will be used to help those in need financially, through goods or food aid, or to take other necessary measures to improve the quality of life of those in difficulty. The event industry is working to organize events as soon as it is safe to do so again. Before that, we invite all Finns – individuals and companies – to provide assistance. Domestic help delivers help to everyone personally through diaconian work. People in need of help can communicate with the deacon work of the parish in their locality. You don't need church membership to get help.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go, Marko's performance in Kuopio tonight. This first public performance since leaving NW starts at about 1:19:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvC-cT6p34I

Black Sabbath - Children Of The Grave

Isäni Ääni - Marko Hietala

Too bad I can't get a single word of the chat-interview following the performance. But Marko seems to be in a good mood. 👍 Apparently he mentioned something about writing new songs.

• 3 months later...

This appears to be a new collaboration between Marko and Mika Jaakkola, who I didn't know of before. Not clear to me if this was recorded before or after the beginning of Marko's sabbatical. Anyway, have a listen:

Edit: Oh there's more on Mika's Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Mika-Jaakkola-Lap-Steel-LaulajaLauluntekijä-109264264202019)

′′ At home the sickness report is progressing,
Even though the cap and the coffin lid is kiii.
The sirens are playing,
guitar playing,
dad is leaving by carrying away..."

Alcoholism is a lifetime companion. Everyone is working on it in a way: by calling, writing, working, therapy, drinking, escaping. And it won't stop when the coffin lid is up.
Sometimes you get a friend to handle it. Mika got Hietala Marko.

Here's what Marko says about cooperation:
′′ I've known Mika Jaakkola for a long time. We are from Tervo village. Both fathers were high income upper middle class and both alcoholics. The result is not good. Son sees, son learns... but what?", Hietala ponders."

(translation by FB)

• Metal 1

A Finnish article about Marko's collaboration with Jaakkola:

https://www.suomiviihde.fi/viihdeuutiset/muusikolle-fataali-fokaalidystonia-ei-pysayttanyt-lap-steel-kitaristi-mika-jaakkolaa-tuplasinglella-mukana-marko-hietala-ja-olli-haavisto/

Fatal focal dystonia for the musician was not stopped by lap steel guitarist Mika Jaakkola - Double singles with Marko Hietala and Olli Haavisto

Marko Hietala and Olli Haavisto will participate in the double single that precedes the EP

Mika Jaakkola, who has been active in the field of music all his life and studied guitar at the university, among other things, is a tenacious guy. The strange fingernail cramps that began in 2006 were eventually so severe that even the guitar could not be tuned, and Jaakkola applied for research.

“The diagnosis turned out to be focal dystonia, which means the end of a musician’s career. The ailment is activity-specific and that symptom does not manifest itself anywhere else in the body or in any other function in any way. Quite unequivocally the most feared occupational disease of professional musicians, ”says Jaakkola.

The guitarist, intrigued by the situation, decided to accept the facts and adapt.

“I will never be able to play guitar again. Over the years, I began very carefully to take over lap slide playing and at the same time singing. I didn’t know at all if I would be able to play any player anymore in the future, by diagnosis I wouldn’t. This is the kind of parallel reality loop from which I now find myself awakened. One life was left out. It was replaced by a completely different expression, customs and means to continue in the field of music. The situation now is that I can make 100% muse without any performance problems. And here comes these. ”

On August 20, Mika Jaakkola will release his EP DARK SLIDE INC., Which will give you a taste of two songs today. Marko Hietala and Olli Haavisto will be the guests of the Call / I or my memory double single.

“I want to dedicate the lyrics of the song Soita to all the Juniors whose only way to escape their home was to escape inside their own head through some instrument,” Mika says and continues:

“The lyrics of both the author and the fiddling artist swing in the lyrics of the song, so when I was thinking about who I would like to detach properly at the end of the song, the answer at heart was unequivocal. Marko. Either he or no one else. ”

Marko Hietala says that the song is canned in a touching home atmosphere.

“I have known Mika Jaakkola for a long time. We are from the village of Tervo. The fathers of both were high-income upper middle class, and both were alcoholics. The end result is not good. The boy sees, the boy learns… but what? ”Hietala ponders.

The planned duet eventually became a song completely interpreted by Marko when Hietala got into the song.

"Marko came to the scene, listened, went through the text, he felt the phrases and the atmosphere of the song, took over the melody and shouted: 'I'm pulling this here completely.' I replied, 'Yeah, good.' This is not a duet, and the interpretation is excellent, ”Mika recalls.

Olli Haavisto also recalls his own sessions with warmth:

“I didn’t know Mika Jaakkola before when he approached me on the lines of recording possible pedal steel tracks. After getting acquainted with the material, I promised to join oitis, and I was pleasantly surprised that someone boldly approaches the singer-songwriter genre through slide instruments. It was a great pleasure to participate in the project! ”

“I or my memory is a ballad from the boundaries of true and false, from where those two are not separated. After losing himself, and no return ticket. When we met Olli, it was not unclear whether the idea of the nature of the song was the same for both of them. I don’t remember the last time a similar shout out of the body and mind left when I drove Olli away from him after demoing his own handwriting on the song. Olli had a completely incomprehensible and unexpected role in the whole song, ”Jaakkola adds.

The full EP trailer is also now available to watch here . The trailer has been made by Katarina Karppinen and Sami Maaranen.
See Mika Jaakkola live:

31.7. TSIF 2021 Invited Guest Festivals
(6.8. Private Event )
(7.8. Private Event )
14.8. Maneesirock, Keitele

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, Fugazi said:

Another collaboration for Marko, he will sing on the upcoming Waltari 30th anniversary album.

https://bravewords.com/news/waltari-enlist-marco-hietala-lordi-beast-in-black-the-69-eyes-members-to-guest-on-30th-anniversary-album

“Below Zero 2021” (feat. Marco Hietala)

More details about this collaboration, and a few seconds of Marko singing, from Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVU8XWELbBv/

Dear fans and friends, next Friday the 29th of October we're dropping our next single and documentary music video from the upcoming album 3rd Decade - Anniversary Edition featuring the one and only @marko_hietala_official. And the song is... Below Zero 2021!! The video is by our guitarist Kimmo Korhonen.

Marko is definitely returning to the stage in 2022. 😮

Marco Hietala has created a long career in metal music: in addition to his solo career, he has been seen in several bands, such as Nightwish, and has been involved in a significant role in the Heavy Christmas project, among others. Hietala was seen in 2020 in the Masked Singer Finland program, which he also won. This talent for metal music will be performed on the stage of the Kainuu Music Festival in August!

Kainuu Music Festival ticket sales will start tomorrow at 18:00 at Early Bird prices. Get ready, low-cost tickets on sale in limited edition!

marko2022.thumb.jpg.de761c2c78a68a9ef54394ab681f5530.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anette Olzon has posted on FB that she will play Tuska Festival in Helsinki in July 2022 with The Dark Element (touring a possible new album?).

But this is Marko's thread, right? More intriguing is the announcement that Northern Kings will also be playing Tuska. I'm not aware that they played anywhere in the last 10 years, and whether this reunion will involve Marko is unclear. But I bet that it does, Marko already has announced solo performances in 2022.

Also, new video for the Jaakkola-Hietala collaboration "Soita". Always weird seeing Marko singing without his bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHI64gOj6Tg

• Metal 1

Ah, here's the confirmation:

https://www.tuska.fi/en/northern-kings

NORTHERN KINGS

A comeback you never expected to see? After a 12-year hiatus, the Kings are back in the north!

Northern Kings is a symphonic heavy metal group formed in 2007 by four Finnish charismatic heavy metal “kings”: Marko Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot), Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica), Jarkko Ahola (Teräsbetoni) and JP Leppäluoto (Charon). The combination of four outstanding vocalists, each with their own unique charm and personalised style of vocals, and a group of extremely talented musicians can only result in a sweet listening experience.

Northern Kings proved cover albums can indeed be different and interesting if the group exhibits the assertiveness and creativeness to do something exceptional. With their two records, Reborn (2007) and Rethroned (2008), they succeeded in boldly reshaping and turning classic hits into completely new and exciting metal versions.

Now the kings are back to do a handful of carefully selected summer festival shows in Finland – in the north where they belong.

Northern Kings are:

The King of High Notes (Jarkko Ahola), The King of the Kings (Marko Hietala), The King of Catchy Melody Lines (Tony Kakko) and The King of Mystique (JP Leppäluoto).

• 2 weeks later...

Marko will play Kuopiorock next summer, I take it that Nightwish won't because they just did this year. It's probably only a matter of time until they run into each other.

Is it too early to think about Nightwish inviting Marko to take the stage and sing Endlessness for old times sake? 😏

• Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I would mention that it's been one year since Marko announced his leaving Nightwish, and so far there's no sign of him ever coming back. I don't know if the band and Marko are even keeping in touch.

Anyway let's enjoy some music from Marko's solo album, along with a typical Marko comment:

"Hello world! It’s time for one more live video from our European tour. A Tour that we finished still under some better stars. And here’s a couple of questions: Dear Oligarchy. How much of your worker/consumer base you can let die off and still make a profit? Wouldn’t proper social democracy make things safer for you too? Isn’t it you with the resources? For now, as always, we’ll keep on walking, and innocents will fall. Subjects might change, but we are on a ”Death March For Freedom”

• 3 months later...

Gossip time! 😁

Marco Hietala in the whirlpool of baby rumors - this is how the rocker who left Nightwish responds

Panu Hörkkö 06.05.2022

https://www.seiska.fi/Kotimaa/Marco-Hietala-vauvahuhujen-pyorteissa-nain-Nightwishin-jattanyt-rokkari-vastaa/1172218

For a long time, there have been hints at Seiska that musician Marco Hietala, 56, is becoming a father. According to sources, Marco's Brazilian wife Cami is expecting a couple from her firstborn.

Seiska reached Marco on Monday to comment on persistent baby rumors. The musician who married Cam in Brazil in 2019 refused to confirm the news. - Or that kind of thing. Now I have to say hey hey, Marco inched and hung up.

Marco has two sons from his divorce in 2016.

Marco dropped a news bomb a year ago when he announced he had left Nightwish. He attributed the greed of the tour organizers to his own endurance, among other things.

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...

I'm late on this, but Marko speaks about depression and leaving Nightwish.

Marko Hietala’s return to Nightwish seems uncertain: “I’m not waiting for a call back”

https://chaoszine.net/marko-hietalas-return-to-nightwish-seems-uncertain-im-not-waiting-for-a-call-back/

Samuel Järvinen - 15.7.2022

A big change took place in the ranks of Finnish metal giants Nightwish at the beginning of 2021, when the band’s longtime singer-bassist Marko Hietala announced that he was leaving the band. Hietala joined the band in 2002 and played on every album since “Century Child”.

Now Iltalehti has published an interview with Hietala. In the interview, Hietala says that he went through a dark period in his life, which included depression, insomnia and anxiety.

“Sometimes I thought I would walk from my backyard to the icy lake and just disappear,” Hietala tells Iltalehti.

Hietala says that the cancelled tours during the pandemic of 2020 brought peace to his life, which the musician was no longer ready to give up when it was time for Nightwish to prepare to go on tour again.

“My head had gone to the point where I could no longer bear the thought of having to go out into the world for a month or a month and a half with the same conditions and troubles,” Hietala recalls.

Hietala was also asked in the interview about a possible return to Nightwish. However, Hietala does not believe that he will be seen as a full-time member of the band again.

“I’m not waiting for a call back or a meeting invitation. For many years, I would get pissed off practically every day at some point. Black thoughts would pop up as soon as there was an empty moment. Even though the gang knows there’s depression and medication and therapy, I can’t help being tired. I saw leaving as necessary for both me and them.”

Hietala has not kept in touch with Nightwish since his departure or followed the activities of his former band.

---

The original article is behind a paywall.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/a/18014cf0-6dc3-4fe9-9c11-3b32714cbb11

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got this announcement for the upcoming Raskasta Joulua tour, including returning Marko. Sorry for the lousy translation!

The locality-specific soloists of the Heavy Christmas tour have been announced!

This year, the Raskasta Joulua tour, which has become the most popular Christmas tour in Finland, features twelve skilled interpreters of heavy music. On the tour, which visits a total of 22 towns, Christmas carols arranged with a heavy hand are interpreted by e.g. Marko Hietala, Noora Louhimo, J-P Leppäluoto and Swedish reinforcements Elize Ryd and Tommy Karevik.

The Heavy Christmas tour, which has been organized almost twenty times, will visit a total of 22 places this year. The concerts of Finland's most popular Christmas tour are mainly held in ice rinks, arenas and large halls. With the Rasskasta Joulua band, 12 skilled interpreters of metal music tour Finland.

Soloists on this year's tour include, for example, Psychework soloist Antony Parviainen, known for his world-class voice, Antti Railio, who enchanted the audience with his powerful soft interpretations and strong presence, Elize Ryd, soloist of the Swedish metal band Amaranthe, musical multi-talent Ilja Jalkanen, charming versatile metal man JP Leppäluoto in the new Elämäni biisi season, ex-Nightwish star Marko Hietala - soloist Tony Kakko and e.g. Ville Tuomi, known from the ranks of Leningrad Cowboys and Suburban Tribe. See all tour venues with soloists below.

HEAVY CHRISTMAS TOUR 2022

Pe 18.11. Kokkolan jäähalli
Solistit:             
Antti Railio      
JP Leppäluoto 
Pekka Heino    
Antony Parviainen                    
Noora Louhimo                         

La 19.11. Vaasan Sähkö Areena
Solistit:             
Antti Railio
JP Leppäluoto
Pekka Heino
Antony Parviainen
Noora Louhimo

Ke 23.11. Joensuu Areena
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Antti Railio
Tommy Karevik (SWE)
Noora Louhimo

To 24.11. Ikaalinen Spa Arena
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Antti Railio
Tommy Karevik (SWE)
Noora Louhimo

Pe 25.11. Seinäjoki Areena
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Tommi Salmela
Tommy Karevik (SWE)
Noora Louhimo

La 26.11. Karhuhalli, Pori
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Tommi Salmela
Tommy Karevik (SWE)
Ilja Jalkanen
Antony Parviainen
Noora Louhimo

Su 27.11. Helsingin jäähalli
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Tommi Salmela
Pekka Heino
Ilja Jalkanen
Antony Parviainen
Ville Tuomi
Noora Louhimo
Tommy Karevik (SWE)

Ke 30.11. Kalajokilaakso Areena, Ylivieska
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Antti Railio
Antony Parviainen
JP Leppäluoto
Noora Louhimo

Pe 2.12. Ouluhalli
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Ville Tuomi
Antony Parviainen
Pekka Heino
Tommi Salmela
Elize Ryd (SWE)

La 3.12. Lahti Halli
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Antony Parviainen
Pekka Heino
Elize Ryd (SWE)

Su 4.12. Verkatehdas, Hämeenlinna (liput raskastajoulua.com)
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Antti Railio
Ilja Jalkanen
Elize Ryd (SWE)

Ke 7.12. Salohalli
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
JP Leppäluoto
Pekka Heino
Tommy Karevik(SWE)
Noora Louhimo

To 8.12. Espoo Metro Areena
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Ville Tuomi
Tommi Salmela
Pekka Heino
Ilja Jalkanen
Antony Parviainen
JP Leppäluoto
Noora Louhimo
Tommy Karevik (SWE)

Pe 9.12. Kuopio-halli
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tommi Salmela
Ville Tuomi
Pekka Heino
Ilja Jalkanen
Antony Parviainen
Tommy Karevik (SWE)

La 10.12. Lumon Areena, Kouvola (liput raskastajoulua.com)
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tommi Salmela
Antony Parviainen
Pekka Heino
Ilja Jalkanen
Tommy Karevik (SWE)

Su 11.12. Lappeenranta-sali
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tommy Karevik (SWE)
Ilja Jalkanen
Noora Louhimo

Ti 13.12. Mikaeli, Mikkeli
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tony Kakko
Ville Tuomi
Noora Louhimo

Ke 14.12. Steveco-areena, Kotka
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tony Kakko
Ville Tuomi
Pekka Heino
Noora Louhimo

To 15.12. Paviljonki Areena, Jyväskylä
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tony Kakko
Ville Tuomi
Tommi Salmela
Antony Parviainen
Noora Louhimo

Pe 16.12. Gatorade Center, Turku
Solistit:             
Elize Ryd (SWE)
Marko Hietala
Tony Kakko
Ville Tuomi
Tommi Salmela
Pekka Heino
Ilja Jalkanen
Antony Parviainen
JP Leppäluoto
Noora Louhimo

La 17.12. Kivikylän Areena (ylätori), Rauma
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tony Kakko
Ville Tuomi
Elize Ryd (SWE)
Antti Railio

Su 18.12. Nokia Arena, Tampere
Solistit:             
Marko Hietala
Tony Kakko
Ville Tuomi
Tommi Salmela
Pekka Heino
Ilja Jalkanen
Antony Parviainen
JP Leppäluoto
Antti Railio
Noora Louhimo
Elize Ryd (SWE)

raskastajoulua.com

A new collaboration for Marko, with this Finnish musical collective named HiSQ. It's a very nice song IMO.

https://www.hisq.fi/new-single-with-marko-hietala/

"September 23rd presents a new phase for HiSQ. The single ”Flesh and Blood” starting the series Hi Status Qualified is a beautiful piano ballad with powerful vocals from ex Nightwish member Marko Hietala."

From their page:

https://www.hisq.fi/initiation/

What is HiSQ?

It’s the name for this Finnish collective. It’s short for Hi Status Quotes but also for instance Hi Status Quirks and Hi Status Qualified. It’s mostly about good songs created for the love of music. Our collective and the HiSQ band together try to create something special. The genre is of no importance, only that we are satisfied with what we’ve done. Before going to studio we usually know, who is going to sing the song.

The Quotes’ music is inspired by words heard in tv series or movies. They can be classic lines or just some random words that suddenly make Erkki hear a melody in his head. Erkki is a big Abba fan, so he likes to play with words and how they sound and doesn’t take them too seriously. The five first Quotes’ songs are being published as an extended play.

The Quirks will be something you don’t expect. No need to tell more at this point.

Hi Status Qualified is dedicated to an especially good music with no quotes or quirks!

More about 'Flesh And Blood' from The Sound Cafe:

https://www.thesoundcafe.com/post/finland-s-hisq-release-flesh-and-blood-with-ex-nightwish-bassist-singer-marko-hietala

"The song has a long history. I composed this on the piano some 40 years ago, and originally it had just a few Finnish lines of text to it. It got buried underneath other songs, but it stayed on my mind. One day I found lyrics called 'Flesh and Blood' in my drawer. I had no idea which song the lyrics where meant to go with, and I even managed to compose a new melody to them. At some point I finally realized, what song they belonged with, and the early version of 'Flesh and Blood' became a reality," Erkki Vuokila explains.

The moving piano ballad also features Mikko Mäkinen, who has played the keyboards in HiSQ before and who now gave his finishing touches to the piano arrangements, and Peter Engberg, who plays the acoustic guitar. Bablo had the idea of asking his namesake Marko Hietala to come sing the song, and Hietala was more than happy to lend his voice to a story, which resonated with his own life story.

Marko Hietala says, "Hi people! I was approached by Bablo and Erkki a few months back. They said that they had a song, which they would like me to sing for their HiSQ release. I listened to the song and read the lyrics and ended up singing the song. Here’s how it resonated in me. I’ve struggled with a few addictions in my life. The worst of them has been alcohol, which made me so impulsive, untrustworthy and reckless, that everything dear to me was about to break.

And it was happening because of me. I needed to make a change and I did. But I also remember how my troubles made me blur the accusing voices and constant pain in my mind with booze. I was a chronic depressive alone on a highway to hell. And addicts are worthless enough for others to write them off without getting to know anything about their reasons. We all need to communicate how we feel. We all need to hear the others. If we don’t, we’re cowards in our own field of battle. I’m only flesh and blood. Can I count on you?'"

Here are the lyrics, according to AZ Lyrics:

Flesh And Blood

My life has been just one big masquerade
The lovers that I lied to, the enemies I made
And how to end it is what I must now learn
Before the time of reaching the point of no return

'Cause I am only flesh and blood and hope you see that too
The times of my pretending they are through
I am only flesh and blood and all I say is true
But if I stumble, can I count on you?

I owe it all to you if I succeed
You saw where I was going, you saw the change I need