I was here.

Fugazi

It's only fair to start this by introducing myself.

Big Nightwish fan since mid-2015, I was pretty much sucked in by listening to Showtime Storytime vids on Youtube. I do remember listening to Walking In The Air earlier on (2012) and wondering who those guys were, but it took some time before I came back to the band. My previous metal-ish interests were Lacuna Coil, Evanescence (I know, soft stuff) and Dream Theater. I have always been a progressive rock fan, but leaning more into heavier stuff as time goes by.

I decided to launch this forum because I'm old fashioned and I love forums. I haven't been a member of Nightwish Online for very long before it went dark, but I loved the place as much as anyone else and spent way too much time going through the tons of archives there. I was devastated to see it go away, and I still cling on the hope that it can be brought back. But in the mean time, as much as I'm happy that there's a vibrant Discord community (or two) available, I gave it a try but it's not my style. Too difficult to go back and reread old conversations, it's just all too hectic for an old forty-something like me. 😁

So yeah, this is a new forum for those who like the slower pace and community spirit. I have no links to the band, and I'm paying this from my own pocket. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and I may write up a forum FAQ if the forum gains traction.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey whitenoise, welcome!

Sorry for not replying more quickly, I was out of the country for the entire week. Anyway, please feel free to comment wherever you like, I'm slowly building up some material to add to the site. And eventually traffic will pick up, but this place is not about traffic but more about discussing NW and similar interests in a less crowded venue.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

"I haven't been a member of Nightwish Online for very long before it went dark, but I loved the place as much as anyone else and spent way too much time going through the tons of archives there. I was devastated to see it go away, and I still cling on the hope that it can be brought back. But in the mean time, as much as I'm happy that there's a vibrant Discord community (or two) available, I gave it a try but it's not my style. Too difficult to go back and reread old conversations, it's just all too hectic for an old forty-something like me. 😁"

Exactly the same here. I really hope your initiative will lead to a forum with tons of Nightwish info.

Thanks for that 🤘

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I came across this place after @mabla linked it in one of the Discords. I really like smaller communities. (Although the best of both worlds, to me, is a small, tight-knit discord server.)

I discovered NW several months ago. My first few songs of theirs were Élan, Alpenglow, and The Islander. I'm still relatively new to the metal genre in general.

I also like electronic and electro-pop music, Celtic and similar-sounding folk music, orchestral/cinematic type music, and some random bands that don't really fit in any of these genres. The metal bands that I like so far (in addition to NW) are Eluveitie, Cellar Darling, Epica, Blackbriar, and Hammerfall.

Fun fact: I was led to NW through Auri, which I found and fell in love with first 😄

• Like 2

Welcome to both of you! Glad to have you on board!

The NW fandom is pretty fragmented now between FB, Discord, Youtube, and probably many places I don't even know about. I don't expect it's possible to build such a huge community like the old forum was, but it's not my intent. Small is sometimes better!

Lumgol, I think NW is a band that can appeal to music fans way beyond the metal genre being quite eclectic themselves. I'm afraid I haven't listened much to Auri beyond some Youtube snippets, but I'll make sure to give it a fair chance. There were talks of a new album next on Tuomas to-do list, so with the Covid forced break and postponed tour perhaps a new Auri album is something we can look forward to in 2021?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/10/2020 at 2:39 AM, Fugazi said:

It's only fair to start this by introducing myself.

Big Nightwish fan since mid-2015, I was pretty much sucked in by listening to Showtime Storytime vids on Youtube. I do remember listening to Walking In The Air earlier on (2012) and wondering who those guys were, but it took some time before I came back to the band. My previous metal-ish interests were Lacuna Coil, Evanescence (I know, soft stuff) and Dream Theater. I have always been a progressive rock fan, but leaning more into heavier stuff as time goes by.

I decided to launch this forum because I'm old fashioned and I love forums. I haven't been a member of Nightwish Online for very long before it went dark, but I loved the place as much as anyone else and spent way too much time going through the tons of archives there. I was devastated to see it go away, and I still cling on the hope that it can be brought back. But in the mean time, as much as I'm happy that there's a vibrant Discord community (or two) available, I gave it a try but it's not my style. Too difficult to go back and reread old conversations, it's just all too hectic for an old forty-something like me. 😁

So yeah, this is a new forum for those who like the slower pace and community spirit. I have no links to the band, and I'm paying this from my own pocket. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and I may write up a forum FAQ if the forum gains traction.

Enjoy!

Small question for Fugazi..

You showed some nice tour posters from Montreal concerts in the "Nightwish Fandom and Collectibles" area;  Have you seen Nightwish live then in these or other years? Can't find it in the Forum... I'm just curious ....  🙃

🤘

These posters are from before "my time", they were acquired from another fan for my small collection. I have some older stuff as well, I'll eventually get around to posting the rest. I caught the band in Montreal in 2016, but couldn't make it when they came back in 2018, too busy with my studies and probably couldn't afford it either at the time. Montreal is 2-3 hours from where I live, this time around circumstances being different I would have gladly travelled to Toronto (a 8+ hour trip) to see them but that show was cancelled. I have tickets to Lowell which is actually a bit closer but requires crossing the US border which can be time consuming. And at this rate, who knows if the tour won't be postponed again. 🙄 I have read rumours that the South American leg in January will be postponed for the second time. I think our next NW show will be virtual, mark my words! 😑

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hi! I'm Tone Irene from Norway. I'm 35 year old, discovered Nightwish 20 years ago, went to see them live for the first time in 2005 with Tarja. I have seen them live in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Hope to see them in Finland one day 😄

I'm a musician myself. I met Tuomas once, and said I studied the saxophone, he told me he had played saxophone himself! That was a cool conversation 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...