Auri

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

From Auri's Facebook:

"We are excited to announce that the journey of AURI continues: the new album "II - Those We Don't Speak Of" will see the light of day on September 3rd, 2021. The cover artwork comes once again from talented Janne "ToxicAngel" Pitkänen.

First single and pre-order start to be revealed very soon!"

Available soon, depending on your time zone!

More details about the coming album are available at Backstage Rock Shop:

https://www.backstagerockshop.com/collections/nightwish/products/auri-2-those-we-don-t-speak-of-earbook

798737852_Screenshot2021-06-17203859.thumb.jpg.28e279011837fa8bf90f6d898aa83d2b.jpg

In the fleeting moments between the state of being awake and reaching the doors of dreamworld lies a borderland whence comes the mood music of ancient stories told – the celestial unison of three creative souls known as AURI. Originally born in 2011 from the special connection of Johanna Kurkela, Tuomas Holopainen and Troy Donockley, AURI was first introduced to the world as late as 2018. Now complemented by the dynamic percussive talents of Kai Hahto, the threesome carves fantastical worlds entirely their own.

Their new album "II - Those We Don´t Speak Of" will be released on September 3rd 2021. The cover artwork comes once again from Janne "ToxicAngel" Pitkänen and bestows in its simplicity and depth.

Pre-order the limited edition Earbook version now!

01. Those We Don't Speak Of (04:08)
02. The Valley (04:43)
03. The Duty Of Dust (06:02)
04. Pearl Diving (06:16)
05. Kiss The Mountain (03:41)
06. Light And Flood (06:57)
07. It Takes Me Places (04:05)
08. The Long Walk (04:22)
09. Scattered To The Four Winds (05:18)
10. Fireside Bard (04:49)

Release date: September 3rd 2021
Version info: Earbook, music comes in cd-format
Edition: limited to 1500pcs worldwide

Spoiler

owl1-orange-treasure.png.00d1f7fd3edcbd17154eba677e3957ea.png  O

Find the letter that Marko published to explain his leaving Nightwish.

• 1 month later...

Oh wait there's a lyrical video too!

Tuomas comments: "'The Valley' is an ode to homecoming. It's about things worth a long wait, and about all the wondrous waypoints on the road. And, while you're wandering on that road, why not write a little tune to keep you company. A tune most delicate and hard to catch, but willing to reveal itself once you've made your journey, and have almost reached home."

• 3 weeks later...

A written interview on YouTube? Why not! Johanna Kurkela writing about the new Auri album of course, and more. From the Auri Family channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCeOfS2kM8

For instance we learn that:

• Her spoken Shakespeare quote on Shoemaker was supposed to be only a guide vocal for Geraldine James, but eventually remained as such.
  • She also features on the new Darkwoods My Betrothed album (!)
  • Johanna does plan to create more music with Johanna Iivanainen for Altamullan Road.
  • She also is excited about a big project coming up this year, called Eye Of Melian.

And while we're at it, from Troy's FB:

Our new album ‘Auri ll : Those We Don’t Speak of’ is out!
We hope you welcome and take great care of these new creations of ours, and, as before, the birth of these new pieces was effortless and no pain control was needed.
Tracks 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 were born in East Finland, while tracks 3, 4 and 6 were born in North Yorkshire. All songs were nurtured, weaned, clothed and schooled by Auri.

Therefore:

1. Those We Don't Speak Of (04:08)
  2. The Valley (04:43)
  3. The Duty Of Dust (06:02)   *Troy
  4. Pearl Diving (06:16)   *Troy
  5. Kiss The Mountain (03:41)
  6. Light And Flood (06:57)   *Troy
  7. It Takes Me Places (04:05)
  8. The Long Walk (04:22)
  9. Scattered To The Four Winds (05:18)
  10. Fireside Bard (04:49)

My review will be coming up soonish. 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a belated train-of-thought review while I'm listening to the album in full for the first time.

Those We Don't Speak Of: Definitely gloomier-quirkier than I would have expected for this album, given the singles we heard so far. I think this one was written by Johanna? It's a track borne by her voice, as the instruments are minimalist and in a support role. We can hear a bit of Troy harmonizing towards the end.

The Valley: This one I already knew and loved. The only thing I would change is the accordion plug-in that doesn't sound much like the real thing... This song is deceptively simple, yet builds up very nicely with the help of strings and keys. I dare say it's built like a Nightwish song.

The Duty Of Dust: Musically this reminds me for some reason of Night 13 from the previous album. It's a song that takes it time, but the payoff is nice harmonies with Troy and a great folkish instrumental interlude.

Pearl Diving: The first single, and probably still my favourite on this album. I like the way the song is building steam, Troy's backing vocals, his guitar playing, and Johanna is truly amazing. And Troy wrote the song, give the man more credit!

Kiss The Mountain: Third single, I find the song soothing but not one I feel the need to hear again and again. Nothing wrong with it though.

Light And Flood: Written by Troy, a melodic instrumental with strings, keys, whistles, percussion and even some choirs. Nicely done.

It Takes Me Places: This one could easily have been a Tori Amos song, and I mean it as a compliment. But it has a very dynamic bridge section that could only have been written by Tuomas.

The Long Walk: A slow, solemn marching piece that gradually gets heavier and reminds me somewhat of The Eyes Of Sharbat Ghula.

Scattered To The Four Winds: A string and whistle-led piece that also has a marching rhythm but is a bit more light and folky than The Long Walk. I quite like the mix of Johanna's and Troy's voices towards the end.

Fireside Bard: Troy's impression of Leonard Cohen! I'm left wondering if he can really sing this low on a live stage. Anyway, the contrast of his deep voice and Johanna's light voice works well.

All in all a satisfying album IMO. Not many instant hits, but a collection of well-crafted pleasant songs that are unmistakably Auri without aping the first album.

• 1 year later...

After knitting some merchandise for the crowdfunding of Eye Of Melian, this time Johanna sees big with the launch of the Auriwear brand! 👀

auriwear.thumb.jpg.8a295241eaab274aad6d59ceffc22414.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/auriwearboutique

AURIWEAR - Unique fantasy inspired knits and accessories handmade by Johanna Kurkela. Webshop opening November 11th 2022!

Some posts from the brand's Facebook page:

CHAPTER 1 - When I was little, my grandmother Kerttu taught me how to knit and read stories to me. Ever since then, I’ve found solace in both: knitting and fantasy. Now, looking back, I guess it was only a matter of time before those two dear worlds would amalgamate into Auriwear…

CHAPTER 2 - The idea of Mary Poppins has always fascinated me. To fill a void and provide a thing still missing from the world, be it in the form of music, puzzles, or now, soon to be opening Auriwear boutique. I've always been tempted to choose the road less traveled by and find out where it leads. On and off, I've been knitting pretty much all my life. Mostly for my own amusement, but often also gifting friends and family with my creations. Still, it wasn't until my band Auri started taking form that the idea of fantasy inspired knits finally sparked, thanks to one approaching photo shoot and a videogame called Skyrim....

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2024 at 12:16 AM, Fugazi said:

No big news, but I saw on FB a report from someone meeting Troy and learning straight from the horse's mouth that Auri will do an European tour in 2025.

Probably means that a North American tour might not happen. :classic_sad:

On 2/26/2024 at 3:54 PM, Moondance said:

Probably means that a North American tour might not happen. :classic_sad:

To be honest I don't see Auri touring outside Europe anytime soon, unless perhaps as a support band? If well-established bands like Delain don't draw crowds of more than a few hundred people here, I don't see how Auri can make travelling overseas worth their while. 🤔