Ayreon

Fugazi

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's "A Hand On The Clock" featuring Floor on the new Star One album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z5hHWmW02Y

I must say I like the song, pretty sharp musicianship and catchy tune. However, I don't know if it's the mix or only my headphones, but to my ears Floor is drowned by the guitar half of the time. For all the people saying that Tuomas isn't using Floor to her full potential (bollocks in my opinion) at least the Nightwish sound wizards let her voice shine fully above the heaviest riffs.

Oh and then there's Irene (Jansen, her sister!) singing the alternate version of the same song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCd9fNI1uA

She's actually sounds great herself! I do question the idea of having both sisters sing the same song, especially since they end up having somewhat similar voices. 🤔

• Metal 1

4 hours ago, Fugazi said:

That's... a long interview! 😯

I will help you a bit with your precious time 🤗

👉 ... at 54min Arjen explains the raison for the "guide vocals"

Somewhere in the interview (still haven't found the timestamp 🧐) he also explains that the guide vocals were so good that he want to share these too. 

🤘

Edited by mabla
  • Metal 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mabla said:

I will help you a bit with your precious time 🤗

👉 ... at 54min Arjen explains the raison for the "guide vocals"

Somewhere in the interview (still haven't found the timestamp 🧐) he also explains that the guide vocals were so good that he want to share these too. 

🤘

Haha thanks! I will find the time, I will probably listen to the interview while vacuuming the house. 😁 Guide vocals, huh? Like Marko singing the Imaginaerum demos before they chose the new singer? Interesting.

• Metal 1

4 hours ago, Fugazi said:

The automatic translation is nearly incomprehensible but I got the main idea. 😆

I tried it and I understand your remark. It seems like an one to one translation of Dutch/English on YT (the spoken words are also not always transferred correct from spoken to written by YT). But it gives you a good insight of the Dutch sentence structure that is is complete different than the English structure 🤣

Hopefully there is another interview with Arjen about this subject in English 🤞 or somebody translates this Dutch interview properly

I'll keep my eyes/ears open 🧐

• Metal 1
  • Thanks 1

I still need to get a copy of Transitus. The Ayreon albums are a great listen. I ended up discovering them through Dream Theater and Kamelot's current vocalist Tommy Karevik.

Marko Hietala happens to do vocals on the 2013 Ayreon album, The Theory of Everything. It's for these songs:

This one also features Troy Donockley:

The last one:

• Metal 1

Marko is everywhere, isn't he? And this Arjen guy is really creative, and seems to be a nice guy too. Artists seem to enjoy taking part in his projects anyway from what I can see.

Ah Dream Theater, they used to be my favourite band some time back, I kind of lost track of them eventually but still have good memories and many albums. But I guess this is a topic for another thread! 😁

• 1 month later...

Arjen has a knack for recruiting talented artists to work with. I was checking out Electric Castle Live and Other Tales, a live anniversary album to discover that Fish, former singer of one of my favourite non-metal bands (Marillion) was invited to sing during those shows. They even played one of the better known (read: commercial) Marillion songs, Kayleigh, during the show. Weird stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz5M08mrCG8

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 12:46 AM, Fugazi said:

I wonder if Floor will be a part of this... September 2023, I suppose the NW summer camp will be over by then?

https://www.arjenlucassen.com/live/

Lots of guests, but not Floor:

https://www.facebook.com/ArjenLucassenOfficial/posts/pfbid03CNpkxgiXjELpVb6mcuER2uW2Jr6N8RbDbEV23Ks9gByYF59EW9nh3si5H3pTLLal

Arjen: "I’m extremely happy with the singers that we managed to get for the 01011001 shows, what a cast! It’s always a big challenge to enlist all the singers for the live shows so far in advance, because so many of them are mega successful and therefore really busy. So... if your favourite singer isn’t there, PLEASE know that I did the best I could, but some simply aren’t available. Always to their own regret. I’m sure you agree that we have no less than 19 amazing singers here (apart from that hippie-dude), already proud of them!"

Check our website for more information and news: https://www.ayreon.com/live

Original 01011001 cast:
Hansi Kursch (TBC)
Tom Englund
Daniel Gildenlow
Jonas Renkse
Anneke van Giersbergen
Simone Simons
Wudstik
Marjan Welman
Liselotte Hegt
Maggy Luyten