Delain

Fugazi

Delain news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoJCHHMcAM

📢 EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT!! 📢 We will be playing at ProgPower USA in 2023!!! 🥳🤘 We are so looking forward to returning to the ProgPower stage and we can't wait to see you there!
Along with that, we are currently working on putting a couple of tours together so we will have some tour dates to announce in the coming months. ☺️
🔥🔥🔥
Also, last week we promised to give you the date of the first single which will also be the revealing of the singer. We finally have it and the date is... drumroll please... 🥁😉 AUGUST 9TH!!!

delain.thumb.jpg.a18934a17bc6c0682efa7c2161587c95.jpg

13 hours ago, Moondance said:

They must be preparing for the June private show Martijn mentioned earlier on, sort of a warm up for the new band and singer.

Also, I appreciate the generally positive moderation on Delain socials -- example below. Nightwish moderation is often very passive-aggressive! 😆

delain-fb.thumb.jpg.d4a491cf1d2d918a39d4ac3999e167a4.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 1:01 AM, Fugazi said:

Also, I appreciate the generally positive moderation on Delain socials -- example below. Nightwish moderation is often very passive-aggressive! 😆

delain-fb.thumb.jpg.d4a491cf1d2d918a39d4ac3999e167a4.jpg

When the band's lineup ended back last year, I was on crowd control as they were proceeding to go all "not same without Charlotte" - even as I had to defend Martijn as it was his band in the beginning and was something he formed. Everyone who were purist were not too happy about what I was saying.

9 hours ago, Moondance said:

When the band's lineup ended back last year, I was on crowd control as they were proceeding to go all "not same without Charlotte" - even as I had to defend Martijn as it was his band in the beginning and was something he formed. Everyone who were purist were not too happy about what I was saying.

Well it was a big trauma akin to Tarja leaving Nightwish -- and the new singer will have some resistance to overcome, especially if she doesn't already have an established credibility. To some it must feel like their parents are getting a divorce. Though I'm happy that Delain is still alive, in one form or another.

• 1 month later...

Pre-orders are now open for Charlotte Wessels' second solo album/compilation 'Tales From Six Feet Under, Volume II'. Last year's album is also available on CD for the first time (as a double CD including Volumes I and II).

75817_charlotte_wessels_tales_from_six_feet_under_vol_ii_digisleeve.jpg

From the Napalm shop:

"After embarking on her solo journey with the release of her enchanting first solo album, Tales From Six Feet Under (2021), former Delain frontwoman and songwriter CHARLOTTE WESSELS is now about to unveil her second full length album in two years, Tales From Six Feet Under Vol II, to be released on October 7, 2022 via Napalm Records. As on its predecessor, instruments and vocals were performed or programmed and produced by Wessels herself in her very own Six Feet Under Studio, fueled by her tight-knit Patreon community. On that platform, she releases a new song every month, and Tales Vol. II is a collection of the second year of this endeavor. On the new album, Wessels’ styles range from melancholic alt pop to synth-infused rock and connects atmospheric elements with harder sounds, crossing genre boundaries with ease.

The album sets off with the captivating synth-flavored track “Venus Rising”, luring into CHARLOTTE WESSELS’ world of sound, immediately showcasing the multifaceted nature of her music as it’s followed by “Human To Ruin”. The song starts with a sweet melody that breaks into a propelling metal track, where calmer parts alter with powerful break outs. Wessels releases her power on other commanding tracks like “The Phantom Touch” and “Good Dog”, while on “The Final Roadtrip”, she presents the full range of her vocal prowess atop carefully balanced electronic beats and indie soundscapes. Her softer, poetic side is shown on the intimate “Against All Odds” – a gentle ballad featuring calm vocals and an acoustic guitar strummed delicately by Timo Somers. “Toxic” comes with an obscure, captivating whispering sound that turns into a strong sonic wall, as the album then fades out with the honest atmospheric gems “I Forget” with cello performance by Elianne Anemaat and “Utopia”. This eclectic wealth of songs proves Wessels’ exceptional ability to express the most sincere feelings and emotions within her art and her distinct intuition for the combination of seemingly different genres. Tales From Six Feet Under Vol II is an enchanting portent of CHARLOTTE WESSELS’ further multifaceted endeavors."

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Moondance said:

Couldn't get a link, but the new single that comes out on August 9, is titled "The Quest and the Curse". It was performed at the recent warm up shows, but there is no footage of the shows nor any talk of who the new vocalist is.

Neat! Which means that we'll finally find out who the new singer is, they said that they were waiting for a single release in order to introduce the singer. 👀

2 hours ago, Fugazi said:

Neat! Which means that we'll finally find out who the new singer is, they said that they were waiting for a single release in order to introduce the singer. 👀

Well, I can't wait to hear the new singer, and see who it is. The title for the song itself, sounds like it will straight forward power metal with symphonic elements.

• Metal 1

20 hours ago, Moondance said:

Well, I can't wait to hear the new singer, and see who it is. The title for the song itself, sounds like it will straight forward power metal with symphonic elements.

So far what little we could hear from their teasers still sounds very Delain, so I'm rather confident that the new material will be fine. I'm very curious though as to how the old material will sound with a new line-up, as they certainly won't stick to only playing the new album.

Someone on Facebook has leaked out who the new vocalist is. For the sake of everyone here and on any other fan page of Delain, I can already see that the band are going to be so angry about that. There's always going to be others who want to ruin the surprise for everyone.

I have unfortunately seen the name, but I am not going to say who it is, for the sake of everyone here who is a Delain fan. My lips are completely sealed until the single comes out. 😁

Edited by Moondance
  • Watching 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:20 PM, Moondance said:

Someone on Facebook has leaked out who the new vocalist is. For the sake of everyone here and on any other fan page of Delain, I can already see that the band are going to be so angry about that. There's always going to be others who want to ruin the surprise for everyone.

I have unfortunately seen the name, but I am not going to say who it is, for the sake of everyone here who is a Delain fan. My lips are completely sealed until the single comes out. 😁

Oh wow! 😮 I'm so curious! The leak is unfortunate, but I'm surprised the name hasn't leaked long before, with all the people attending the secret shows this summer. The big reveal is in a couple of days, and a quick internet search doesn't yield any clues, so I'm sure very few people will have actually been spoiled.

New song is here!

As predicted, it sounds very Delain-like with powerful symphonic elements, with new growling from Ludovico Cioffi himself. It's almost like jumping back to the Moonbathers era of Delain with elements of Xandria incorporated into the song. Credits on the description state that Eye of Melian's Robin la Joy had involvement on this song, though the band stated in a Facebook group in a comment that the new singer is...

Spoiler

Diana Leah

So far, no announcement on who it is, so it'll have to wait until the morning.

Can't wait to hear how the album comes out in the future, and here's to the hopes for a North American tour.

• Metal 1

She does sound a bit like Charlotte!

https://arrowlordsofmetal.nl/delain-video-the-quest-and-the-curse/

As previously announced Dutch symphonic metal titans Delain announced it will not continue as a project, but as a full band. The band’s founder and leader Martijn Westerholt released a statement in which he said that all new members will be  announced as soon as the band is ready to share the new music.  That moment is now, as the band release the new song ‘The Quest And The Curse’. With the release, they officially unveil the identity of the new singer, which is Romanian born and currently Italian resident Diana Orga, professionally known as Diana Leah.  ‘The Quest And The Curse’ comes from the brand new Delain album, out on Napalm Records, of which details are announced later on.

With the addition of Diana Leah, the band now is complet again and consists of:

Martijn Westerholt
Keyboards, Orchestrations, Vocals (backing) (2002-present)
See also: ex-Infernorama (live), Eye of Melian, ex-Within Temptation, ex-The Portal

Diana Leah
Vocals (lead) (2022-present)

Ronald Landa
Guitars, Vocals (backing) (2006-2009, 2021-present)
See also: Autumn, ex-Infinite Dawn, ex-Hangover Hero

Ludovico Cioffi
Bass, Vocals (growls, backing) (2022-present)
See also: Carnality, Nightland, Sun of the Suns, The Modern Age Slavery, Neker (live), ex-Ne Obliviscaris (live)

Sander Zoer
Drums (2006-2014, 2021-present)
See also: ex-Antares, ex-Nemesea, ex-Secret Rule, ex-Tragul

On her FB page Diana Leah describes herself as a 'trance vocalist'.

https://www.facebook.com/DianaLeahMusic

In no way I ever imagined myself typing these words right now.

All I know is exactly one year ago I was preparing my audition for the band of my dreams and today I can finally announce that I am officially part of Delain as their singer.

No words can describe how blessed and grateful I feel to be able to be part of this alongside the best humans and musicians I could ever dream working with such as Martijn Westerholt Ronald Landa Ludovico Cioffi Sander Zoer Guus Eikens and the amazing and tireless team working behind the scenes, I love you guys!!!

I believe no person is sent to you by accident and this is no exception.

We’ve been recording a lot of magic this year, you really don’t want to miss it.

For now, here is the official video for “The quest and the curse” https://youtu.be/QKmVMaF60zA

I hope you’ll love it just as much as we do.

A special thank you goes to Alessio Staltari and to my good friend Andrea Fusix who mixed and mastered The quest and the curse and who supported me since the beginning I couldn’t have done this without you

Listened to the new song a few times, it's more of a continuation of old Delain than I would have expected, and less of a new direction for the "new" band. I guess fans will be pleased for the most part. Looking forward to more from the new album.

Oh and a link to the video:

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some clips from the first 'public' Delain show with the new singer, at Riverside Festival in Switzerland. The video is not top quality but I'm rather impressed with the Diana Leah. It's obvious that unlike Nightwish, Delain have looked to preserve the sound of old with a singer that would sound similar.

Hands Of Gold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmALcXDAaYQ

And she seems to be a capable live performer.

The Quest And The Curse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Eik-jjLQc

• 1 month later...

Charlotte Wessels returns to the stage in Utrecht NL on October 23, with a band of mostly ex-Delain musicians and some special guests. Timo Somers (guitars), Otto Schimmelpenninck van der Oije (bass), Joey Marin de Boer (drums) and Sophia Vernikov (keyboards) will be on stage with her, as well Elianne Anemaat (cello), guest singer Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy), and support act Marcela Bovio (MaYaN). Charlotte will play a selection of new solo songs -- I don't expect any Delain material, but who knows?

https://www.tivolivredenburg.nl/agenda/charlotte-wessels-23-10-2022/

221023_NC_CharlotteWessels.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to FB rumours, the upcoming album is named 'Dark Waters' and will be released on February 10, 2023.

Tracklist:

1. Hideaway Paradise
  2. The Quest And The Curse
  3. Beneath (feat. Paolo Ribaldini)
  4. Mirror of Night
  5. Tainted Hearts
  6. The Cold
  7. Moth to a Flame (feat. Paolo Ribaldini)
  8. Queen of Shadow
  9. Invictus (feat. Marko Hietala & Paolo Ribaldini)
  10. Underland
  11. The Quest and the Curse (Piano Version)

I'm quite giddy that Marko is back on a Delain album, even if only for one song. 🔥 I thought it might happen but didn't want to get my hopes up.

Paolo Ribaldini is an Italian metal singer living in Finland. According to the Delain FB:

"Some of you already know him and enjoyed his performance during our last show in Zwolle on Nov 4th. He's Italian, but he lives in Helsinki and he's the singer of Finnish metal acts SKILTRON and Seraphiel!

He also collaborated with iconic bands such as Rhapsody Of Fire and Beast in Black, so everybody please give your warmest welcome to our amazing and talented new guest singer Paolo Ribaldini!

You will be overwhelmed by the power and epicness of his voice in his live appearances on our European tour next year, but especially on our new single "Beneath" that will be released on Nov 29th!"

Edit: And here's the album cover:

darkwaters.thumb.jpg.d5a7b214eaf55c1027cbf4de0bea16bb.jpg

• Metal 1