Delain

Fugazi

15 hours ago, Moondance said:

Glad to see that he's back for a song on Delain's album. 🤘

Yes, looking forward to that song. I wonder if it's a duet with the other featured Paolo guy, or will Diana be singing as well?

That also rekindles the idea that Marko might return as a guest in future Delain live performances... Just an empty hope, probably!

Anyway, here's the video for Beneath. I find Diana sounding less like Charlotte on this one, but the song does not stray very far from the Delain beaten path.

Napalm Records already have an album review up on their website.

https://napalmrecords.com/english/delain-dark-waters-wooden-box.html

"Dutch symphonic metal pioneers DELAIN break into new realms with their eagerly awaited, brand new full-length, Dark Waters, out February 10, 2023 via Napalm Records. The pristine record marks a game-changing chapter in the band's history and presents the brainchild of keyboardist, founder and main songwriter Martijn Westerholt with a new lineup. Rejoining the fold and bolstering DELAIN’s continuity are original guitarist Ronald Landa and original drummer Sander Zoer, while new members - terrific vocalist Diana Leah and bassist Ludovico Cioffi - continue to evolve their sound. Dark Waters follows the chart-breaking Apocalypse & Chill (2020), integrating the most refined sounds in the genre. DELAIN’s renowned orchestral arrangements, highlighted by modern shadings, set new standards and manifest the five-piece on top of the scene. A sonic rollercoaster ride of catchy tunes with explosive elements - ranging from pop to film score-inspired to blistering metal - merge perfectly with Diana’s fantastic voice, showcasing her incredible talent and musical sophistication.

Songs like the soaring previously released standalone single, “The Quest and the Curse”, as well as “The Cold” (the latter featuring a real, epic choir), lure with a bombastic sound that skillfully combines orchestral melodies, epic heavy riffs and marvelous vocal performances. DELAIN magnificently manages to never lose touch of their characteristic sound, making them a constant without ever standing still. Pop-induced opening track “Hideaway Paradise” shows exactly that by inducing a dream-like feeling flirting with melodic metal guitars, while the ballad-like dark track “Mirror of Night”, featuring Within Temptation guitarist Ruud Jolie, entices the listener with unfathomably catchy lines and melodies. “Queen of Shadow” merges the orchestral and synth-focused soundscapes DELAIN is known for as it weaves melodic heavy guitars that intertwine with orchestral lines and vocal melodies. The vocal department holds new adventures with guest singer Paolo Ribaldini, who also highlights the hauntingly beautiful “Beneath” as the ultimate hymn. Hovering close to the original DELAIN sound, it combines synth themes and metal riffs to create an incredible fusion between pop and heavy soundscapes, topped off with a brain-spinning guitar solo. “Tainted Hearts” is centered around Westerholt's keyboard arrangements, which skillfully showcase the creative roots of the mastermind. “Invictus” is nothing less than the Magnum Opus of the album - a rock opera in its own right with heavy riffing, choirs and vocal parts performed by Diana Leah, Paolo Ribaldini and Marko Hietala (ex-Nightwish), ending in a bombastic climax where everything comes together. Emerging as a brand new start and safe haven alike, Dark Waters, without any doubt, continues the legacy of this multi-million-streamed leading symphonic metal outfit and contains everything DELAIN is loved for and more."

• Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Delain are touring Europe next year, but at least one North American date is rumoured as well.

We're going to spread Dark Waters all over Europe next year! 😈🌊
Delain's new line up is ready for their first European tour, and more exciting details are going to be revealed very soon! 🤫
🎟️ Tickets on sale at ➡️ https://www.delain.nl/shows.php
14/04 - TILBURG (NL) / 013
15/04 - HAARLEM (NL) / Patronaat
21/04 - MANCHESTER (UK) / Academy 2
22/04 - LONDON (UK) / O2 Islington Academy
24/04 - LUX / Rockhal
25/04 - PARIS (FRA) / Le Trabendo
27/04 - ZURICH (CH) / Komplex 457
28/04 - MUNICH (GER) / Backstage Halle
29/04 - STUTTGART (GER) / Im Wizemannclub
30/04 - BERLIN (GER) / Hole 44
02/05 - HAMBURG (GER) / Knust
03/05 - ESSEN (GER) / Turock
Who's already got their tickets? 🙋🏻‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the video -- more of a lyrical video like the one to Endless Forms Most Beautiful.

It's not a bad track by any means, but I like the previous singles more.

Diana Leah says on YouTube: " This song was the last song written for our new album “Dark Waters” and I’m proud to say I had the opportunity to write the lyrics for it! It has a deep meaning to me."

• Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A few days left before the Delain show!

I will be seeing them in Montreal this Friday, in small venue compared to what they're used to in Europe. Looking forward to this, the energy of the band seems pretty good these days!

What can I tell about Dark Waters? Perhaps the biggest surprise to me was that this album is so similar to previous Delain albums. You would think that changing the whole band and singer would bring a different end result, but honestly this in my opinion is as pure-wool Delain as any other Delain album. And it's not a bad thing, I think avoiding huge fan trauma was part of the bigger plan.

Of course the recipe was calculated to please: recruiting as many former band-members as possible, choosing a female lead that could aptly channel Charlotte's voice and range, throw in a Marko collab... I can't say there's anything on the album that hasn't been heard before with Delain, but it's also a smooth transition to this new line-up.

If there's one thing I'm still on the fence about, it's the lyrics. Are the lyrics written by Robin La Joy (Martijn's wife and also Eye Of Melian writer) as evocative as Charlotte's texts?

And what about Diana... she's the improbable miracle Delain needed to pull off this rebirth. She had little stage or recording experience beside session vocalist for trance music as far as I can tell, yet she adapted to her new role like she had been fronting a metal band all her life. And while most fans were disappointed with Charlotte leaving the band (and I was indeed) I think that most also consider Diana a worthy successor. She has great stage presence, sings effortlessly and can do justice the old songs. She even wrote some lyrics on Dark Waters. What more can we ask for? 😀

I don't know if you have seen this, but Delain have enjoyed a writing session for the next album (already) in of all places the Finnish wilderness -- and it would seem to be at Tuomas island hideout in/near Kitee, if I'm not mistaken!

https://www.facebook.com/martijn.westerholt/posts/pfbid0PrNfqrhH4jNboZ7zLtgR1AqJedavhgnCDfAbqSsk4W43VM7mCACziwTdCU644wkEl

Quick recap of last night:

Venue in Montreal was tiny, perhaps 200 standing. It was the band's third time in this specific venue, but the first Canadian show for Roland and Sander as Delain only stated touring Canada in 2013 or so. Diana mentioned that it was very emotional for her to be singing on the stage of the venue where she used to come and watch bands back in the years she was living in Ottawa.

Anyway, the band members were in a good mood despite the heavy touring schedule (7 nights in a row, from Charlotte to Toronto to Chicago?) and they were very generous with their time. Diana and Ronald performed a beautiful acoustic version of Mirror Of Night (see photo above), I got my stuff signed by the band plus Robin La Joy (Martijn's wife and lyricist on the album) who was supervising the meet-and-greet and staffing the merch stand.

I don't know Visions of Atlantis very well, but I had heard a couple of their songs. I have a hard time getting into these bands with strong themes -- like Sabaton -- but VoA's opening act was great, full of energy and great crowd interaction. Singer Clémentine Delaunay being able to chat the crowd in French certainly helped. Also, I think there were as many VoA shirts in the crowd as Delain, so they appear to be better known here in Canada that I give them credit for.

And the crowd also welcomed Delain very loudly, as I mentioned we were in a small venue but I think the band felt our enthusiasm. There were may newcomers to Delain as well (VoA fans who didn't know Delain) but I don't think they left disappointed. The setlist was great, I would have liked to hear Masters Of Destiny and a couple of other recent songs but they focused on some early albums (April Rain and We Are The Others) and of course Dark Waters. Diana was on top of her game, no sign of being tired despite being relatively new to touring. As noted, this was night 4 of 7 in a row, with loads of road travel between each city.

The band seemed happy on stage, and happy with the crowd reactions. Hopefully they make some profit with the tour so they return to North America shortly. Martijn and the band alluded to another Delain album to follow perhaps as soon as next year, so we can hope for another visit in 2025 or so.

Oh and the band have posted a couple of pictures from the Montreal show on FB, they're better than any of my own pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/delainmusic/posts/pfbid02FGVCnQexSHyNJ1haMzPrFsGEeqTzPeCQYUSW6C4TNks1DZ9cd9JokbP3zb7epSYQl

Was at the Toronto show. I had arrived earlier than I thought at 9am. I was waiting for a bit because the band was late arriving to the venue (Velvet Underground), and they didn't arrive until 2pm which was when the load-in began. The band came out though, and Martijn signed my copy of Apocalypse & Chill. Diana then came out and I got to have a selfie with her, and she said hello to two or three others before joining the band to go inside. Met Ronald as well, who signed my copy of April Rain. The other band Visions of Atlantis arrived shortly after, although we left Clémentine alone because she wasn't in the mood to chat.

At 6pm, we got inside for the VIP and it started with the signings first. Sander was the first one I met from the table, he signed my copies of April Rain, We Are The Others and The Human Contradiction, as well as Dark Waters, which was then signed by all the other members in the band. Diana was the last one at the table, and I got to chat with her a bit while she was signing my copy of Dark Waters and the postcard (who I was getting for a friend). I asked her what her favorite Disney movie is, and she said "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast". She asked me what my favorite Disney movie is, and I said that it was "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". After that was photos, though I made sure to bring my signed stuff in my bag to coat check before the photos. Then, it was the VIP acoustic set which was only one song, "Mirror of Night". After that, I took my place at the front of the stage.

The merch table (run by Robin La Joy) had a $250 keyboard signed by all of the members. I would have gotten that if I could, but I took the train to Toronto and didn't have a car, so I didn't get it. Some of the concertgoers watched my spot while I got a tour shirt for me, as well as a shirt for the single cover of "Moth to a Flame".

Visions of Atlantis came on first, and it was met with positive reception from the audience. They pulled off a great set, even for eight songs. Yeah, I did the rowboat interaction that Michele had asked all of us to do. A friend of mine who came to the show arrived mid-set, so he missed about four songs, but managed to be there for the last four. I could tell he had a load of fun as I did as I would later see him the next day for Beast in Black. It was after the show that I found out they will be back for a headlining tour in April, so I will definitely be checking out VoA more now that I enjoyed their set.

Delain came on after, and pulled a fantastic performance with the new lineup to a borderline sold-out venue. There were a lot of cheering from the audience, and at one point before a song, Ronald pointed out a fan that was attended and said that fan had seen the band around 2,000 times, which blew my mind. They performed many of their hits as well as new songs from their recent album. During the final song, I had a piece of paper asking if I could have the set list. Diana handed me her set list after the bows.

I was getting a drum stick for a friend from Sander, its broken tip landed square on my hand, which HURT LIKE HELL, and poked in. But I managed to get the drum stick for my friend. It would be 10 - 20 minutes until I put hand sanitizer on my hand because the poke from the broken drum stick bled a little bit, even did the whole "kissing hand" technique - but I shouldn't be too worried as it didn't poke too deep. If I did, I would have to go and get a tetanus shot.

After the show, I waited outside by the tour van until midnight which was when they came out. The band signed my VIP pass on the lanyard, as well as the set list. I told Diana that she sounded amazing, and told her she would be great as Christine Daae in the musical The Phantom of the Opera. She thanked me for the compliment, with both me and her sharing a hug afterwards. I did ask her if she was a soprano, and she said that she thinks so. Clémentine from VoA was outside while we were waiting, and she told me her vocal range was indeed a soprano. Michele was also there, and he signed my Delain setlist as he guested on that show.

After both bands went to their tour buses, I went home.

I then got Yannis' signature on my copy of Apocalypse & Chill the next day at the Beast in Black show.

Overall, the new lineup showed incredible promise and presented a formula that worked together. I will definitely see Delain again, and I plan to catch VoA the next time they are in town.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great report! 🤘 I wish I could stay longer in Montreal to meet the band before or after the show, but as it is I had to leave work early then rush to return home at 3 AM -- I was working at 8 in the morning!

Anyway, I found the band members all seemed very happy to meet the fans and chat, including Martijn. The burnout days appeared to be long behind him, and I hope it stays that way.

I get that people may like or dislike Delain, of course, but those claiming that the new line-up is a bad cover band are clearly biased. The new album is IMO very similar in sound and vibe to the previous Delain material. And the live performance I saw (and the others I watched on YouTube) was great, the band was having fun, they sounded good, Diana has great stage presence, she looks very comfortable and natural, especially considering that she only has one year of live performing experience -- Charlotte had 16! I can't say that the new line-up is better, but it's certainly not inferior to the previous one.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I jealous? Yes! 😁

📣 DELAINERS!! 📣
Because of the huge amount of requests after we sold out our show in Metropool Enschede (NL) on November 18th, we decided to add another show in the afternoon!
This will be a very special one, because we are going to play a different setlist containing a lot of songs we didn't play in a long while!
And to celebrate this unique occasion, we’re gonna offer discounts at our merch stand, and an extra discount for people who already bought a ticket for the evening show!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/27/2023 at 12:26 AM, Fugazi said:

They sort of hinted during their show in Montreal that they would be back in 2024, but I'm looking forward an official statement and the actual dates! 🤘

I'm still waiting as well for them to return to Toronto next tour. Hell, I'm making plans save up money and travel to other cities on their tour if they return.

Along with that, I'm reading comments on Delain videos, and I am honestly still surprised that there are former fans who still go on how Charlotte is a better vocalist. When I saw some of the comments, I was thinking "What? It is all past, so why are they still not able to move on?"

• Like 1