Delain

Fugazi

In other news, it would appear that Delain are breaking up, or at the very least "going back to basics". Band members are going separate ways while founder Martijn Westerholt is promising more music with presumably new session musicians. He says "many familiar faces will be returning to join me on this journey". According to singer Charlotte Wessels "it is the sad conclusion of more than a year of trying to find solutions to built up grievances". Bassist Otto Schimmelpenninck adds that "it became increasingly clear that Martijn was very unhappy to be on tour, and unhappy about how Delain had developed from his own project, to the band it became. It was obvious to everyone we couldn’t continue in this way".

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/delains-martijn-westerholt-announces-end-of-bands-most-recent-lineup-the-others-have-chosen-to-pursue-different-paths/

European metal is a small world. It will be interesting to see who will take part in Delain's next project, and what will become of the leaving band members.

• Metal 1

• 2 months later...

While Delain is regrouping with Martijn Westerholt probably recruiting session musicians for his next album, singer Charlotte Wessels is busy composing and publishing music on her Patreon. A few songs have been shared on her YouTube channel so far. She is very versatile both as a singer and composer, so her new material is very diverse. The instrumental arrangements are all composed and programmed by Charlotte herself, which is quite a feat.

Soft Revolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrGRUqRD7ZY

Masterpiece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L728Y3HH_hs

• Metal 1

Delain has never seizes (hope this is correct English) me for some reason I can't explain ... 

Have seen them a few times on festivals and listened to them on Youtube, but don't have music from Delain in my collection and have also no plans to purchase any.

It is what it is...

🤘

• Metal 1

I don't know Delain so well but they seem to thrive in a weird spot between contemporary pop-rock and metal, maybe I can compare them to early Lacuna Coil? Charlotte Wessels' voice is also quite unique for a metal singer. All in all I like what I heard so far, but they certainly don't fit perfectly in the "symphonic metal" mold.

• Metal 1

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting interview with Martijn Westerholt about his future projects for Delain but also about the mechanics of Delain and how the split came about. Lots of details, from his perspective of course.

https://arrowlordsofmetal.nl/delain-video-interview-with-martijn-westerholt/

While we're at it, here's Charlotte Wessels' statement about the split back in February.

Delain has been my world for nearing 16 years, which is half of my life and my entire career. So it is with a heavy heart that I am confirming that Delain will continue as Martijn’s solo project, and my involvement with Delain ends here.

At this time, I know that you might have questions about the ‘why’ in all of this. I fully understand and respect that. Simply put, it is the sad conclusion of more than a year of trying to find solutions to built up grievances. Part of me feels like I’m letting all of you down, I’d like you to know that this decision was not taken lightly and I apologise to those of you who had high hopes of seeing all of us together live on stage again after lockdown. Until recently, I thought this might still be in the cards for us as well.

In the last 15 years we have released music that we have poured our heart and soul into. We have toured the world, rocked so many stages and met so many wonderful fans; I cherish all of that beyond measure. Every eye locked during a lyric, every front row high five, every after show hug (remember hugs?) From the sweaty hole in the wall to the Wembleys, Wackens, and Paradisos of our career. The memories we - band, crew, fans - have made together, will last forever. And in the end, they are more important to me than the differences that we couldn’t overcome, so that’s where I’d like the focus of the narrative to be.

So where do we go from here? Otto, Timo and Joey are also leaving Delain, but will carry on making music with their own projects. Make sure you’re following what they’re up to. I can’t wait to see and hear how they will take the world by storm. Martijn will continue with Delain, and although it may be painful at first to see a Delain that I’m not a part of, I do wish him the very best in this new chapter. Like any relationship, our creative partnership has required work at times, but it has also been incredibly fruitful and I am grateful for all the things that we made together. Finally, I hope that Delain remains a positive force in everyone’s lives. We Are The Others, always will be, and none of this changes that.

As for myself, I’ll keep writing and performing music. It is the thing that gives me joy and purpose. I’m beyond grateful for my amazing community on Patreon, something that was supposed to be a side project from Delain, but will now be the primary place that I release music and create art and community.
This platform allows me to keep creating independently and I am thankful for all patrons that make this possible. I am dedicated to bring you my absolute best, and look forward to making magic with all of you.

I welcome the future with open arms, and I hope to see you on my journey. You can find the latest at http://charlottewessels.nl
With love,
Charlotte

• Metal 1

• 3 weeks later...

Original Delain drummer Sander Zoer is returning as part of the new band being formed around Martijn Westerholt. Clues point to more member "re-introductions" in the near future. I'm especially interested in who the new singer(s) will be. Also, can we expect Marko Hietala to return as a special guest? Unlikely in the short term I suppose.

• Metal 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Rob van der Loo, former bassist, has also returned as a guest/session bass player. Basically this is the Delain line-up of 2007-2009 ("April Rain") minus Charlotte Wessels.

https://www.facebook.com/delainmusic/videos/1172469780179343

On the topic of singers, Martijn Westerholt has mentioned that "we will have a main singer, but also other singers".

https://www.facebook.com/delainmusic/posts/483258963171703

• Metal 2
  • Like 1

I heard about that! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, as I loved April Rain. I have Rob's signature on my copy of that album.

I'm eager to see who the main singer is going to be. Judging by the moment the announcement is made, I am certain there are going to be some upset people because they were so used to having Charlotte Wessels in the band. When the drama ensued from the lineup changes in the beginning of 2021, I was trying to keep everyone calm by saying that lineup changes can happen all the time which drove out the purists to tell me that I was wrong and that it wasn't the same anymore. (Though to be honest, I used to be completely purist when it came to the band Rhapsody of Fire.)

Edited by Moondance
Expanding.
  • Metal 1

Changing singers is almost always traumatic, because it's the image and the primary instrument of the band you're changing. I'm a big fan of Charlotte, and while I do look forward to new Delain material, and I'm very curious about the new singer, I don't necessarily look forward to this singer performing the old songs live. To me they're still Charlotte's songs.

Assuming that Delain will continue touring of course, as it was one of the sticking points between Martijn and the band.

By the way, I wouldn't mind Marko guest singing on the new album, he's part of the Delain family too!

• Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 10:34 PM, Moondance said:

Charlotte Wessels also sang on Kamelot's song "Under Grey Skies". She would also appear to perform it live with the band in the Netherlands, but it was unfortunately only performed once. It surprised me because I thought they would play that song when I saw Kamelot perform in Toronto back in 2018, as Delain was one of their two opening acts.

Charlotte has been pretty active singing with other artists, and more than ever now that she's on her own. It's been hit-and-miss, frankly I like her solo material but the collaborations are not her songs and the result is what it is. One recent collab that I do like is this one, far removed from her comfort zone! I understand it's not for everyone though. 😁

On 3/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ocean Soul said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V09kMQGWMc

Did you guys see this??!! I got huuuuge Elize Ryd vibes from that new singer! It won't be her but still 😄

Ha yes I see it too... Unlikely, but then I think Martijn talked about collaborations too, like on the first album. Who knows, perhaps Marko will be involved again in some fashion? 😮

• Fire 1

Sort of the 'End Of An Era' of Delain, the last concert with Charlotte on Valentine's Day 2020. The pandemic took care of the rest of the tour, then the band fell apart. Unfortunately as far as I know there's no professional recording from this foreshortened tour that started on February 6th 2020 and ended after only 5 shows.

Setlist

• Metal 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok now who is this singer? I have no idea... this is the first snippet from a new song, "What Lies Beneath". Only on Facebook from what I can tell.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=402575754620817

Edit: and on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcSjAa6lYyN/

It does sound very much like Delain I must say.

We are thrilled to announce our very first show of 2022 which will take place at Hedon in Zwolle (The Netherlands) on Friday, November 4th! In addition to the familiar, well-loved songs, we will also play brand new material from the upcoming album. If you don't want to miss out, buy your tickets here:

https://www.hedon-zwolle.nl/voorstelling/31186/DELAIN

Because a lot of people were really curious about new material, we used some music from our upcoming album in this video. (Spoiler) There is also a small sample of our new singer on there. Just wait until you hear her sing in full force!

There will be more teaser clips in the coming months followed by the very first single of the album. So keep an eye on our social media platforms for updates!

Also in the comments, many guesses are debunked.

It isn’t Ailyn 😉 [Giménez, ex-Sirenia]

It isn’t Charlotte. [Wessels]

It isn’t Liv [Kristine, ex-Leaves' Eyes] although she is absolutely lovely!

It isn’t Ailyn.

it isn’t Manda [Ophuis, from Nemesea].

It’s not Liv or Leah 😜

Sorry Jane, it’s not Liv 😜

And from Instagram:

3 pointers. She is not from the Netherlands. She has two arms and two legs. And she comes from the Southern part of Europe (but its not the ex singer of Sirenia what some people thought)

[During the upcoming tour] we will play songs of every album including Apocalypse and Chill.

• Like 1

A Face Culture in-depth interview with Martijn Westerholt (joined during the interview by Robin La Joy Westerholt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqpbPKDavic

Some highlights:

• Splitting Delain felt like a divorce, it left a huge scar and Martijn hasn't spoken to the former band members since.
  • Tuomas actually encouraged Martijn to ask Johanna to sing on Eye Of Melian, a project he had in mind for a couple of years already.
  • Eye Of Melian started as a one-man project but eventually developed into a band.
  • There are no clear plans to tour with EoM but if they can work out the challenge of bringing the orchestrations to stage they will consider it.
  • The search for a new singer took Delain outside the borders of the Netherlands. They knew that whoever replaced Charlotte would draw a lot of criticism and they were searching a hugely talented lead figure. Martijn even scanned YouTube cover singers during his search.
  • Having a lot of faith in the new signer fitting in, Martijn decided Delain could continue as a band instead of a project.
  • A new Delain single can be expected this summer. A video for it will be filmed very shortly.
  • Martijn's wife Robin will take over writing lyrics for Delain.
  • The new Delain album is scheduled for an early 2023 release, and the band will also tour next year.
  • A private Delain show is being planned for June 2022 with friends, family and perhaps a number of "special" fans, as a warm-up for the new singer. 😮
  • Metal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

News on the Delain front:

Ludo Cioffi, a death metal guitar player from Italy is the new (live) bass player. He also sings in his main band Nightland.

We are thrilled to finally introduce Ludovico Cioffi (@ludovicocioffi) as our new permanent bass player! 🎉 As many of you know, Rob van der Loo has returned to Delain as a guest bassist and is recording much of the bass for the new album. Ludo will also contribute bass and backing vocals/growls to the new album as well as be the new charismatic presence to hit the stage with us. 🤘🎸

He is the perfect addition to the Delain team! Let's give him a very warm welcome!!! 👏🖤

Show on November 4, 2022 at Hedon in Zwolle, Netherlands! (ticket link in bio!)

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cdv0DEcFHKh/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

• Metal 1

17 hours ago, Fugazi said:

News on the Delain front:

Ludo Cioffi, a death metal guitar player from Italy is the new (live) bass player. He also sings in his main band Nightland.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cdv0DEcFHKh/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Welcome Ludo to the The Others! Let's see how well you fare on the upcoming Delain album! Look forward to see how it'll work out with Rob van der Loo as the guest bass player on the album as well.

• Metal 1