No tour in support of 2024 album

Fugazi

NIGHTWISH NEW ALBUM COMING OUT 2024

As the ‘Human :ll: Nature - World Tour’ is drawing to a close, we feel now is the time to tell you of our plans for the next phase in our journey.
After the planned shows for June 2023 we will be “hanging up our spurs” for an indeterminate time, as far as live concert performances go, and won’t be touring the next album.

The reasons for this decision are personal, but, we all agree, vital to the wellbeing and future of the band. Be assured that we still love working together, and this decision has nothing to do with Floor`s pregnancy or our other individual projects.

However, an album of 12 new songs will see bright daylight in 2024, as will 3 music videos! The band is positively hyped beyond words over this new upcoming musical adventure.

Stay tuned for updates from our legendary Nightwish band camp & studio this summer!

-Tuomas, Floor, Emppu, Troy, Kai & Jukkis
  • Metal 1
  • Confused 1

Wow... first reaction, I don't have a good feeling about this. ☹️

It may be about the rising cost of touring that makes it not worth the hassle anymore... But this pushes the eventual next tour to what... 2029 at this rate? If there is another.

Good news about the album, but still feeling pretty disappointed today.

• Watching 1

I can understand this decision, and fully support them doing whatever's best for the band members, but I have to admit to feeling kinda crushed as well.

I'm regretting not making it to their one New Zealand show back in 2013 more and more, and now I'm starting to think I'll never get another chance - either here or travelling to somewhere like Australia. 😞 

There's not many things I love more than live music, and I might have to accept that I'll never see my all-time favourite band.

It's nice to have a new album to look forward to, but still pretty deflated by this.

• Sad 1

It's tempting to over-analyze the short statement -- as we always do! 😁 -- but there's something in the way it's worded...

"The reasons for this decision are personal, but, we all agree, vital to the wellbeing and future of the band."

This doesn't sound so much about money after all, rather about not coping well with touring anymore? Family concerns? Health concerns? Not getting along so well on tour anymore? There will be lots of speculation and I do expect Tuomas to be asked about it in every interview until the release of the new album so he'd better be prepared! 😁

Regardless of their professional freedom, for a band acclaimed for their live act it's disappointing to hear they won't be touring for an indefinite period. They're not getting any younger, and it's hard keeping a connection with the fans only with YouTube updates. And given that they don't even plan to release a proper live DVD of the current tour, why do I have a feeling that they're preparing to move on to other projects?

It's also sad for the road crew, they're probably on their own after June 2023. Expect another Crewish release sooner than later! 👀

Perhaps Tuomas knows there's another album hot on the heels of the 2024 release, and that they will tour both in a couple of years? Just trying to keep my hopes up here! 😋

• Watching 1

24 minutes ago, Fugazi said:

And given that they don't even plan to release a proper live DVD of the current tour, why do I have a feeling that they're preparing to move on to other projects?

Nightwish ain't over until they give that orchestral concert when the band performs with an orchestra. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

But in all seriousness, I would like a live DVD of the Human. :II: Nature. World Tour.

16 minutes ago, Moondance said:

Nightwish ain't over until they give that orchestral concert when the band performs with an orchestra. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

Well, if they're not touring as such they might be more amenable to do one-off special shows? But that does require getting together and rehearsing and recalling the tech crew...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 3:33 PM, Fugazi said:

This doesn't sound so much about money after all, rather about not coping well with touring anymore? Family concerns? Health concerns? Not getting along so well on tour anymore? There will be lots of speculation and I do expect Tuomas to be asked about it in every interview until the release of the new album so he'd better be prepared! 😁

I feel like this break is so close to their 30th anniversary so they may want to take a break before starting to tour again. To be fair, they've been touring quite a lot since last year. Also, Floor has already o kid and another one on the way, the members may want to have some time to spend with their families for a prolonged time, just take it easy, put some energy and effort into other projects, etc. 

• Watching 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, The Concert Phantom said:

I feel like this break is so close to their 30th anniversary so they may want to take a break before starting to tour again. To be fair, they've been touring quite a lot since last year. Also, Floor has already o kid and another one on the way, the members may want to have some time to spend with their families for a prolonged time, just take it easy, put some energy and effort into other projects, etc. 

I can get wanting to focus on family and stuff, even other projects... but this is coming on the heels of a 3-year break when they had plenty of time for that, when they kept complaining that they couldn't tour (well... maybe just Floor?) and their touring schedule wasn't particularly heavy compared to some past tours. There were months-long breaks between tour legs. I don't want to sound alarmist, but it sounds like they (the band) are fed up of touring, either because it's getting too expensive, or because it's not fun anymore.

From what I gathered from a discussion on one of the Discord groups, the issue may be pointing towards the band's management. I honestly do not remember the interview, but from what I know, Floor wanted to have a release party show for her solo album Paragon, but the management pretty much told her that there were shows already booked for Japan and that it wasn't possible.

• 4 months later...

I don't think Tuomas has commented on the extended touring break so far, but there were other bits of information from the other band members.

Troy has mentioned back in May on Facebook:

"Well, the time is fast approaching. We have 7 more shows to perform (Stockholm is imminent), and after a glorious couple of years, the harbour is now in sight and it’s time to drop anchor. These Nightwish happenings will be the last for a long time. Very. So if you would like to wave goodbye with a rousing “We Were Here” then you know what to do; by land, sea or air. See you there…"

"Very" sounds ominous.

Also, in a recent interview in Finnish Kai mentioned that among his plans for the next year or so are the recording of the third Auri album, as well as a potential Auri tour in 2025. So the issue is not touring, but touring with Nightwish.

This is obviously my speculation on them not touring for the next album, but I think they will be back to touring afterwards, though I think they will start playing more a limited number of shows. They only performed a couple of shows on the North American tour, so I think they will start limiting where they will perform continent-wise considering the projects like Auri, and Floor's solo career as well.

I think that if that acoustic album they've talked about for years comes out (which Tuomas has said would be the band's final album), I'm hoping they will go and perform around the world for one more final tour.

Edited by Moondance

You're right, I don't see extended tours over multiple years and continents in the future like say the Dark Passion Play tour. Unfortunately this could mean them skipping North America next time, as I don't think it's very cost-effective with the smaller venues and long distances between cities. And I doubt Auri or Floor will ever perform on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

At this point, I would even take another virtual show if it means getting something before the 11th album. 😁

• 5 months later...

HI.  I just stumbled upon this forum and thread  and hope you don't mind I joined up.

I am a personal friend of one of the members of Nightwish and have some insight into whats going on behind the scenes..   I was fortunate to meet up with most of the band in Helsinki at the Altamullan Road concert at the Savoy and had a superb chat with Troy, Tuomas and Jukka ( despite him being on crutches following an ice hokey " incident".  The band were in Helsinki to film videos for the new album and were able to attend the two Johannas' concert... ( which was incredible) . 

the New album is now complete as I write this and Troy, TUomas and Johanna are now writing Auri III material.

THe decision to take a hiatus from touring.. " the circus just got too big and tiring..  it's not just the show.. its the rehearsals, the travel, and the sheer size of Nightwish on tour..  after 3 years of not touring, getting back on the road was great,  but the circus can be overwhelming.. and as we  saw with Marko,  can lead to personal pressures that can get too much - we dont want ot break the band... We are human beings after all .. and each one of the "band" has their own side projects , so some time off to work on them is needed...."

The Auri tour in 25 will be on a smaller scale.. I've seen the list of some of the venues booked and they are much smaller than any Nightwish tour venues.. much smaller.  The "circus" will be smaller and the sets much simpler  too... the bad   the three of them.. Kai on drums, Johanna  and Mirko Iivaneinen supplementing the line up.. becase T,T & J can't play and sing  everything.. and the crew will similarly be much fewer in number.  I am not aware if there are any US gigs on the tour ( at the time i had my chat).

There may be some exciting things going in Finland over the year, but mostly  it is working on Auri III, ( though Altamullan Road are doing some support gigs for Delaine) and promotional work for the new album... 

I'm so looking forward to album 10...  but more so Auri III...  and Altamullan Road II

• Fire 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Edemah Ruh, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your insight, it's nice to hear that there are no hard feelings or any intention to break up the band in the near future. That and the 'multi-album' deal with Nuclear Blast will allay any fears of the band calling it quits.

So in 2025 it almost looks like a combined Auri+Altamullan Road tour! By that time the third Auri album will possibly have been released, so they will have plenty of material to pick from. I don't think that Auri will cross the pond to tour the US, unless as a support act for another group. Delain perhaps? Martijn Westerholt seems to be in very good terms with the Holopainen-Kurkela family.